Chapter 41 - Robin

^President Snow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 41

POV: Robin (District 3)

Time: Night 11

Tributes Remaining: 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit with Soren, Lacie, and Dalia as we eat our small dinner. I'm glad we were able to stock up on food, as we were running low before the Feast. Soon, all that food will be mine, and I'll finally be free from this damned alliance. I've put up with it long enough.

"So... who's left?" I ask Lacie nonchalantly.

"Only 11 now," Dalia says from behind me. I want to snap at her for the interruption but I hold myself back. I didn't ask her the question. I asked Lacie for a reason.

Lacie nods. "There's the four of us, and then Victoria from 1, Tanner from 10, three of the girls from the other big alliance, Orion from 2, and Persephone from 5."

"I wonder what happens after the fourth event," Soren says. My heart is thumping, but I don't let my face show that I'm anxious. I can't give myself away.

"The cycle probably repeats," Lacie says. "Who knows."

"The last one is water-themed," Dalia says. "Maybe they'll use the Ultimate Solvent."

"Like a tidal wave or a flood," Soren says.

I wonder if they realize what's about to happen. I've tried reading Lacie's expressions, but I can't.

The Panem anthem begins to play, causing the others to look up.

Now, I think anxiously. As if on cue, Dalia slumps over next to me. Lacie follows soon after.

"It's Persephone from 5," Soren says, looking back down from the sky. He gives Dalia a slightly confused look before his eyes unfocus and he collapses into a lying position as well.

I move quickly, giving Lacie a nudge to make sure she's not faking. When I see that she's not, I cheer silently. I've done it. I outsmarted Lacie.

I only have so much time until the sun rises tomorrow. I move quickly, pulling out rope from my bag and tying it around my allies' torsos. I pull them across the forest floor, farther from the Cornucopia and deeper into the jungle.

I can't believe my luck. This may be the one time I'll be able to outsmart Lacie. I'd better use it to my advantage.

After I travel a fair distance, I set down my supplies and get to work. I first take out a spool of wire, tying Lacie to a tree until the wire is entirely used up. I tie a knot at the back of the tree, where she'll be unable to reach it. I'd like to see her get out of this one.

Turning to Dalia and Soren, I pull out my rope, but I come to a sudden realization - I only have enough rope to tie up one of my former allies. I was planning on tying all three of them to trees, leaving them helpless as the tidal wave kills them. However, it looks like I'll only be able to tie two.

I look down to where Soren and Dalia are laying on the ground. Which one do I kill and which one do I tie up? I can't leave them alive - that would ruin the whole point. I want to put on a show.

Making a decision, I grab my knife, digging it into Dalia's heart. Her body spasms as her heart squirts blood out of her chest. I shudder as a cannon shot fires, turning away from Dalia's body before I think about what I've done. Soren was always the kindest to me anyway. He offered me an alliance when I had none. Dalia's been an annoyance since day one.

Next, I tie up Soren with rope, tying complicated knots around his wrists and tying him to the tree. I feel bad for treating him this way. More than the girls, at least. But, everything must come to an end in the Arena. Everyone has to die except me. And if I can make a good show of it, there's no doubt I'll be the Victor. The Capitol will love me.

I quickly strip my three former allies of their weapons and supplies, packing everything into my bag.

I'm sure the cameras are eating this up right now. My sponsorships are probably booming - the Capitol loves this stuff. I'll need them to survive until the end.

Suddenly, I get an idea. Looking around, I speak out loud. "Keep her here until the morning," I say, pointing to Dalia's bloody body. I'm sure there's a camera somewhere picking this up. I want Lacie to wake up and see Dalia, laying on the ground. Everything I do is intentional.

Taking a deep breath, I look at Soren one last time. I almost feel bad for him. Before I can think twice, I turn and run away.

~

Wow.

Thoughts on Robin's betrayal? Did you guys see it coming? RIP Dalia :( Trust me, her death was PAINFUL to write.

Also, do you think Lacie and Soren have a chance of escaping the tidal wave, or do you think they'll be trapped? I'm sure Lacie has a trick up her sleeve, but there are nine tributes left in the Games... who knows what could happen!

~S