Chapter 14 - Angelica

^Angelica

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 14

POV: Angelica (District 11)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crowd is massive. I don't think I've ever seen so many people assembled in one place before, except maybe the Reapings every year. The back of the audience can't even be seen on the monitor I'm looking at, and many rows of balconies are present as well.

My sides ache where my dress touches my body. I'm so bruised, even the vibrations of the crowd screaming makes my body hurt.

On-stage are two plush seats. I step in line in front of Dalia, who offers me a small smile. She looks amazing - her hair has been dyed a bright red and is cut to her shoulders, and she is wearing a light yellow dress and dangling earrings.

"Stay on-script," I hear Dalia say to Nia, who looks very nervous. "We need to solidify these sponsors."

Nia murmurs something in response.

Ross steps on stage, and the crowd roars even louder as his regular theme song plays, the horns still audible over the crowd. He's wearing a black suit, and his hair is dyed orange this year.

"Thank you! Thank you!" he cries.

The Interviews are in alphabetical order by District, so Amethyst is first. She's dressed in a pearly pink dress and a headdress of jewels. She sits daintily across from Ross.

"Well, Ross, it has certainly been a dream of mine to be in the Games since I was a kid," she tells him. "As you know, my sister participated in the Games last year and made it to the end before she was killed. My family has always wanted the prestige of a Victor - I'm their last chance."

The crowd sighs sympathetically. I roll my eyes at the spectacle of it all. I think Amethyst's sister, Opal, placed 3rd last year. It's ridiculous that her parents raised her just for the purpose of going into the Arena.

The Careers' interviews go pretty quickly and smoothly. They mostly echo what Amethyst was saying about their preparedness for the Games.

I do pay attention closely to Ada's interview. She honestly scares me more than the other Careers, mostly because she chose to leave them.

"Ada, where do I begin?! First off, we all need to hear your thoughts on the District 1 tributes. Why the split?" Ross asks dramatically.

"There isn't much to say, Ross," Ada replies coolly. "They clearly aren't as skilled or experienced as District 1 tributes should be. As a skilled tribute myself, seeing them ally with a District 10 tribute was the final straw. If I'm going to win, they aren't the ones who will help me do it."

Shots of the audience are shown on the monitor. They're all looking at their friends in shock at Ada's bold statement. I can't tell if she's being truthful or if she's acting for the camera, though.

In his Interview, Soren makes the audience cry, talking about his family. Again, I can't tell if he's telling the truth.

"As a District and as a family we were so excited to see Roman come back. We finally felt safe, although I guess you're never safe in the Reapings," he says.

"Yes, very unfortunate events have unfolded. Hopefully, we'll be seeing back-to-back family Victors with you two - we haven't had one of those in a very long time," Ross says.

"I sure hope so, Ross. I'm missing my sister's wedding while I'm in the Arena..."

Soren's eyes turn distant and the crowd shushes. At the very least, he's definitely overplaying his emotions for the crowd. It's working - I spot a few of the escorts dabbing at their eyes backstage.