Chapter 2

"Killian.. uh, remember how I told you I was divorced?" Emma said as they continued following the waiter. Regina was not that far away anymore and Emma wanted to avoid being seen by her, at any cost.

"We can discuss your life at dinner," Killian replied, in a dismissive tone. He smiled soothingly at her, but Emma's worried expression didn't fade.

"No, no, the woman sitting at that table.."

"Ursula?" The man interrupted her and Emma's eyes widened. Regina was sitting at the table with a woman that she didn't recognize, but Killian clearly did.

The woman turned around and gasped. "Killian? I haven't seen you in forever. How are you?" She stood up and hugged the man.

"I'm great. How are you doing? It's been such a long time," Killian replied.

As Killian and Ursula started catching up, Emma looked at Regina. The woman observed the situation from a distance and didn't bother involving herself.

Emma felt highly uncomfortable, as did the waiter that had led them to their table. He smiled awkwardly at Emma, but she couldn't bring herself to smile back. She didn't really know how to act in this situation.

"If you'd like, I could push the tables together?" The waiter suggested. Killian and Ursula looked at each other and nodded.

"That would be fun. Wouldn't it, Emma?" Killian asked, clearly assuming she'd say yes.

Of course, it wouldn't be fun. It would be the most horrible night in her entire life, but Emma felt like she couldn't really disagree with Killian. So, she nodded.

"Regina, this is Killian Jones. He's an old friend of mine. A sailor," Ursula briefly introduced him and Regina simply smiled in response.

Once the tables were pushed together and everyone was seated, Ursula looked at Emma. "I haven't even asked what your name is, I'm sorry," she asked and smiled sympathetically.

"Her name is Emma. We're on a date," Killian replied, before Emma could even open her mouth. She just nodded agreed and smiled awkwardly.

The waiter was still standing at their table and cleared his throat uncomfortably. He seemed young and new to the job, and Emma felt sorry for him that he had to take their orders.

"Could I interest any of you in a drink?" he asked and held his notepad tightly clenched in his hand.

"I'd just like some water, please," Ursula said and Regina nodded. "Me too, please."

It were the first words Regina had really spoken, this evening. She had agreed to sitting with the four of them, but to Emma she seemed just as uncomfortable as her.

"She will have some water as well, and I'd like some rum," Killian said and pointed at Emma. Emma looked somewhat uncomfortable, but nodded confirming.

"I haven't even gotten an introduction. Who's the pretty brunette?" Killian asked and looked at Regina in a way that appalled Emma.

Emma looked at her ex-wife and saw that she was overly frustrated with the man. She shot an angry glare at him, before she straightened her posture and faked a smile.

"I'm Regina Mills," she introduced herself.

"Don't you know her, Killian? She's the mayor of Storybrooke. And my new boss," Ursula added happily and looked at the woman opposite her.

Emma raised her eyebrows. "You're her new assistant?" she asked in disbelief and her eyes shifted between Regina and Ursula, who was nodding profusely. "Well.. congratulations."