Chapter 12

Regina slowly opened her eyes, only to find Emma sleeping beside her. It seemed as though the blonde had fallen asleep while reading to her, because the book was lying open between the two of them.

Emma's steady breathing gave away that she was still fast asleep and Regina swallowed. To say that she'd missed waking up beside Emma was an understatement. She couldn't even begin describing the way she felt about losing Emma, especially now that she saw her sleeping so peacefully beside her.

It made the urge to kiss her dainty lips so much bigger and Regina had to look away to stop the unwanted thoughts from entering her mind.

She carefully pushed the duvet off her body and stretched her legs before she sat up straight. She glanced once more at Emma and smiled slightly.

Regina had slept horribly, but waking up like this made her feel content. She was grateful to have Emma as a friend again. It was better to have Emma as a friend than as an enemy.

She walked to the kitchen and prepared herself some tea and breakfast. Normally, she wasn't very hungry in the morning -  she always ate something, because she found it important to keep a steady eating schedule, but she noticed that she was quite eager to eat something.

The dinner hadn't ended well the previous night and she hadn't eaten anything. Right when she wanted to start making toast, she heard the door open and saw Emma walking inside.

Emma looked sleepy and her eyes were still half closed. She rubbed her eyes and groaned softly. "What time is it?"

Regina looked at the clock. "Good morning to you, too. It's seven thirty."

"Oh, dear God, why do you have to get up so early?" Emma said and walked to the kitchen counter. She saw a cup of tea standing beside her and smiled.

"Did you make this?" she asked and blew once to cool the tea off, before she took a sip.

"Sure, you can have my tea," Regina said with a sarcastic tone. "You could've just asked and I'd have made you some."

Emma waved her hand dismissively. "Oh, don't worry about it. This one's great."

Regina rolled her eyes and continued preparing her toast. Her mind was still full of the intimacy they'd shared the previous night. They hadn't lain in bed together since forever and it felt almost as intimate as having had sex with the woman.

"Well, yes, because that was my tea," Regina grumbled softly. "How did you sleep?"

Emma nodded slowly. "Surprisingly well. I hadn't even noticed I fell asleep, until I woke up," she said.

Regina looked confused at her. "Do you ever.. know that you've fallen asleep before you wake up?"

Emma didn't respond to the question and continued drinking her tea. She stepped closer to Regina, who had her back turned to Emma. Emma peeked over her shoulder to see what Regina was making for breakfast.

"You okay?" Emma asked as her eyes followed Regina's every move. "I can imagine after last night, you.."

"I don't really want to talk about it," Regina said dismissively, ending the conversation in an instant. Emma took the hint and nodded curtly, before she plastered a smile across her face.

The brunette noticed Emma's body pressing against her own and her breathing hitched. "Toast? That's good, but can you make me some French toast? I prefer that."

Regina furrowed her eyebrows and turned abruptly around, taking Emma by surprise and causing their lips to almost touch. "I don't know what's gotten into you this morning, but I'm not your butler. You can make your own food, dear."