Chapter 28

"Uh.. what are you doing here?"

Regina looked confused at Emma, who hadn't said a word ever since Regina had opened the door. She just looked at the woman with no speech prepared whatsoever.

Cora had convinced her into walking up to Regina's mansion, but she hadn't prepared anything to say. She just looked at Regina, hoping that somehow all of their problems would be magically solved.

Though, now that she looked at Regina, she couldn't come up with any problems.

"Emma? Are you okay?"

Emma still didn't say anything. She noticed Regina's expression turn from confusion to worry, so Emma did feel like she had to say or do something. But she just couldn't get herself to speak.

She had no idea how to confess her undying love for Regina, for the what felt like hundredth time in months. Perhaps Regina didn't even want a relationship with her. Maybe Cora and she had thought about the children and what they might think, but maybe Regina didn't even want to be near her. Maybe she was just seeing how things were going, but actually wanting Emma to go away.

Emma's insecurities grew with the second and Regina turned more worried. "Emma, what's wrong? Can I do something for you?"

She put her hand on Emma's head and let it slid down to the woman's cheek. Regina softly caressed it with her thumbs and smiled at Emma.

Emma couldn't reciprocate the smile, she was still forming sentences in her head. "Do you want to come inside? You're acting a bit strange, Emma," Regina said, but still kept the soothing smile on her face.

Emma swallowed and figured she wouldn't be able to say anything. So, she just moved forward and touched Regina's cheeks with her hands. She captured Regina's lips in the softest kiss for a brief moment, before she pulled away.

"Who's at the do.." Henry's words evaporated in the air as he saw his ma. He looked slightly confused and then amazed at his two mothers, figuring that Cora had talked to his mother.

"Henry, could you please give us a moment," Regina said and eyed Emma in utter confusion. She didn't know what this kiss meant and why Emma hadn't just gone home like they'd planned.

"I want to officially be with you," Emma blurted out as soon as Henry had left. "I want to be with you, live with you and openly love you. All like we used to do."

"Emma.."

"Cora just talked to me. She said that the children already know there's something between us and that they're rooting for us."

Regina furrowed her eyebrows and as too many thoughts were flowing through both her and Emma's mind, she leaned in and kissed Emma again. She didn't know why she did that, but it felt like she had to respond in some way and this was the only way she knew.

Her hands touched Emma's cheeks and she felt Emma's hand in her neck and on her lower back. Regina pulled Emma closer and kissed her more intensely.

"Be my girlfriend," Regina said, once she'd moved slightly away from Emma. She looked Emma deep into her eyes and kissed her nose. "Maybe someday my wife again. I just.. want to be with you. Truly."

Emma swallowed thickly. She hadn't expected this morning to turn so intense. They'd worked up to a moment for the past two months and suddenly that moment was there.

She didn't know how she felt about it. Other than being filled with happiness, there was still a part of Emma that doubted.

This had been an impromptu decision - to knock on Regina's door. And now Regina was asking her to become a couple again. To maybe even get married again in the future.