Chapter 8

"It's not going to be as bad as you think," Regina said. Emma had been in a foul mood ever since they'd had their conversation with Kathryn.

"You actually seem to be looking forward to this. Why?" Emma questioned. She was making waffles for lunch and Regina was preparing a salad.

They'd just returned from the beach and after having taken a shower, separately, they'd started making lunch. Emma had just then realized that she hadn't eaten anything all day but an apple that Regina had brought to the beach.

"Because I'm making up conversations in my head and they all end with me roasting her," Regina replied with a smile.

"But you'll also be on a double date, pretending to be married."

"Why are you so reluctant to go? It's not that horrible. Nothing is going to happen. It's not like, back when we were married, we made out constantly, in front of other people. It's not a real date. We're just hanging out with friends over dinner," Regina said.

"They're not friends, they're horrible," Emma responded and sighed. "I just don't know why you need to prove yourself in front of them."

"I don't know, either.." Regina replied. "I guess that's just who I am."

It stayed silent for a moment as Regina observed Emma's waffles. "Is that all you're eating for lunch?" she asked. Emma didn't hear any judgement in her tone, but she knew Regina was judging her.

"Is that all you are eating for lunch?" Emma repeated, looking at Regina's salad. "You know, there are things beside vegetables to eat. And, how can you be obsessed with vegetables, but forgetting to buy me my carrot cake, and disliking it."

Regina rolled her eyes and took her food from the kitchen counter to the table. She waited for Emma to finish making her waffles and looked at the woman.

"I like vegetables. They're healthy and you know that the variety in my meals is bigger than yours."

"Yes.. I mean, you've got paprika, cucumber, cauliflower. There is so much variation in vegetables!" Emma teased with a smirk and put her waffles on a plate before she joined Regina at the table.

Regina rolled her eyes and sighed as she stuck her fork in her salad. "Really, how do you manage to stay in such shape if you eat this unhealthy, every day?"

"I'm on vacation. This isn't what I usually eat for lunch," Emma said as she poured sugar over her waffle. Regina observed it in disgust, but quickly focused on her own food.

Emma stood up and grabbed a fork from the drawer. She made her way back to the table and smirked. "I don't hate vegetables. In fact, I'm perfectly fine eating them." She stuck her fork in Regina's salad and, before the woman could complain, put it in her own mouth.

She chewed the mixed lettuce with other greens. Her face showed evident disgust, until she stood up, ran to the trash can and spitted it out. "Jesus, that's disgusting!"

Emma grabbed a glass and filled it with water to get the nasty taste out of her mouth. "Yuck," she said shuddering. "Did you eat this crap when we were married as well?"

"I most certainly did, dear," Regina replied and couldn't suppress a smirk as she watched Emma's exaggerated behavior.

"And you kissed me with that mouth?!" Emma questioned in disbelief and sat back down at the table. She started eating her waffle and as the sweet flavor blessed her tongue, she sighed contently. "This is food I like," Emma muttered.

"I've seen you eat vegetables many times before, I don't know what you're fussing about," Regina said as she continued eating her salad.

"Vegetables aren't even that bad, but I have no clue what you are eating, because that ain't food," Emma said and shuddered again as she remembered the awful taste.