Chapter 11

The cold air was suffocating, yet Regina felt better than inside the restaurant. She was done. She was completely done fighting with Emma.

It didn't bring them anywhere and it only hurt. The memories in her mind only became more painful when she compared it to the present.

The sky was dark. She had the idea that she'd only been in the restaurant for five minutes, but it had been long enough for the night to start.

Cars reflected the moonlight and it was quiet outside, apart from the soft rustling of the trees. It made Regina feel even lonelier, but she embraced the loneliness. She didn't have anyone, but she didn't want anyone either. She needed to feel the comfort of someone else, but she didn't want it.

A single tear rolled down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away when she heard someone approach her from behind. She quickly turned around and saw a man she'd never seen before.

"What's a beautiful woman like you doing alone in the dark?"

Regina didn't respond and turned around again. She was in no mood for men. "Do you mind if I accompany you?"

"Yes, I do. Please, leave me alone," Regina responded. She started walking faster, but so did the man. He breathed heavily beside her and once he caught up with her, he stood in front of her.

"You're feisty. I like that," he said and Regina saw a grin on his lips. He stepped closer to her and when Regina stepped back, he grabbed her hand and yanked her closer to him.

He licked his lips and slowly leaned in. "You're very attractive," he whispered and Regina could smell his disgusting breath as he moved his face closer to hers.

Regina felt herself become really uncomfortable, but she straightened her posture and gained some confidence. "I'm going to ask you once more to leave me alone," she said with a stern voice, but the man didn't budge.

In fact, he grabbed her face with his hand and when their lips were about to touch, Regina sighed and moved her knee up in a quick manner, hitting him fiercely in the nuts.

The man groaned in pain and released her immediately as he slumped on the floor. "I thought I'd made myself abundantly clear," Regina stated and grabbed some hand sanitizer from her purse as she walked away.

She sanitized her hands and continued walking. It was only now that she noticed how fast her heart had been racing and her hands were slightly trembling. Apparently, the situation had been intenser than she thought at first.

Regina quickly turned around when she heard someone approaching her for the second time that evening. She wasn't in the mood for another encounter with someone. All she wanted was a calm walk to herself, but she wasn't going to get that anyway.

It wasn't the first time Regina had been bothered by a man. It was the reason she barely walked out alone at night, but she'd been able to rebuff the man quite easily. Fortunately, he wasn't very strong.

She'd pushed the nasty images of men in her past away and was ready for another attack, but she relaxed herself when she noticed Emma's figure. At least the woman wasn't going to hurt her physically.

Emma was running towards her and breathed heavily once she was near her. "I saw a man on the ground. Did he bother you?"

Regina replied with a shrug and smiled briefly at her ex-wife before she turned around and continued walking. She let Emma talk to her, but she didn't listen to a single word.

"You're not listening, are you?" Emma questioned. She knew exactly when Regina was present with her mind, and right now she wasn't.

"I don't know if you understand the meaning of wanting to walk alone. It means I want to walk without anyone nearby," Regina said with a stern voice and kept her eyes on the road ahead.