Chapter 24

Sorry, this chapter is much longer than my usual chapters. I hope you all don't mind.

"Do you have an appointment?" Ursula looked at Emma. Apparently, she didn't recognize the woman from their horrible dinner date, now that she wasn't wearing a fancy dress, hadn't curled her hair and wasn't wearing any make up.

The tanned woman sat behind a desk, in the City Town Hall. She still worked as Regina's assistent, and she seemed to take her job very seriously. Behind her computer, she could see Regina's entire planning and allow everyone who had an appointment inside.

"Yes, I do," Emma lied. She wanted to speak to Regina after the conversation with her mother. Though she doubted Regina had anything to do with it, she did want to be certain.

"Under which name?"

Emma kept quiet for a brief moment, trying to think of a name. "Pier.. son. Pierson," she said.

"Hm.. I don't see it in the planning," Ursula said as she typed some things. Emma furrowed her eyebrows, pretending to be confused.

"Let me see," Emma said and bent over the desk to look at the screen. "Look, it's right there. Thanks." Emma pointed at a random word on the screen and quickly walked away.

"Miss, please return. Miss Mills won't be pleased to see you barging in her room," Ursula said as she tried to get up from her chair. She followed Emma as the blonde walked to Regina's office.

"Well, then I think it's my job to please her," she said with a hint of a smirk and opened Regina's office door.

Regina looked up, startled. She was going through some paperwork at her desk and looked confused. "Emma?"

"Sorry, Miss Mills, she wouldn't listen. She didn't have an appointment, but.. you're Emma? I thought I recognized you. What are you doing here?"

Emma could see the many thoughts going through Ursula's mind. "So, you two do know each other.." Ursula concluded, but still awaited a response.

"Ursula, you may go." Regina waited for Ursula to leave and looked at Emma. "Is there something wrong?"

Emma sat down opposite Regina. She looked at the pile of paperwork that Regina had already signed and at the pile she had yet to do.

"When did you last see Mary Margaret?" It was a blunt question, though Emma's tone was nothing but curious. She didn't sound harsh, just interested.

Regina frowned briefly and squinted her eyes slightly as she observed Emma, wondering where this question came from. "As in your mother? Oof.. I think the last time I saw her was about.. two, two and a half years ago?" Regina guessed. "Why?"

"So.. you've seen her after the last time I saw her, three years ago?" Emma questioned curiously, with a hint of confusion.

Regina kept quiet for a moment and put some papers away in her drawer, to avoid eye contact with Emma. "It could have been three years ago," she replied.

"Was the last time you saw her with or without me?" Emma investigated. Regina looked up from her drawer and cocked her head.

"Why all of the sudden the interest in my last encounter with Mary Margaret?" she asked and closed the drawer.

"Just answer my question," Emma responded. She wasn't angry with Regina, but the woman's comments had piqued her interest.