Chapter 17

"You made the right decision, Em." Belle sipped her tea as Emma gazed at the wall behind her friend. She'd just told Belle everything that had happened at the beach and she'd finished by telling that she'd decided not to spend too much time with Regina to spare her feelings.

But it didn't feel like she was sparing her feelings. She felt horrible. All she could think of all day and night, ever since she left Regina's house the previous day, was Regina, and her children of course.

She knew it was going to be hard to come home in an empty apartment, but she also knew that this was the reality. She'd had four months to adjust to this new lifestyle, but it had already been unbearably long and the thought of having to spend the rest of her life like this was even worse.

"I hope so."

"Emma, you know I love you and Regina together."

Emma flashed Belle a stern glare. She didn't need to reminisce about her perfect time with Regina, because she'd done it all morning and she just wanted to feel some sort of happiness inside.

"Is this supposed to help? Because.."

"Listen to me," Belle interrupted. "When you found out Regina cheated, you were devastated. I've seen you being miserable for the past weeks, but you were slowly cheering up. I know it's hard, but things will get better. But they won't get better if you get back with Regina. I couldn't stand seeing you torn apart like you were when things got bad with Regina and I really don't want to see it happening again."

Emma sighed softly and dropped her gaze. She knew Belle was right. Who was to say that Regina would never cheat again? Who was to say that all their fights would suddenly fade away? Who was to say that everything would magically be okay when they got together?

They sat together in silence and Belle smiled faintly at her friend, who she just hoped would feel better one day. "I have to go, Em. Gideon wasn't feeling too well, so he's at home with Rob."

Emma nodded curtly and stood up. "Thanks for listening, Belle. I really appreciate your company. I'll meet you in the library in about an hour, right?" Emma questioned as she led Belle to the front door. She petted Mrs. Whiskerson and smiled as she watched Belle leave.

Right when she wanted to close the door, she saw a brunette walking upstairs. Emma's eyes widened. If there was anyone she really didn't want to talk to, it was her.

She wanted to close the door, but it was too late. "Please, wait."

Emma still had the opportunity to close the door and pretend she hadn't heard it, but it was too late. Ruby walked towards her door and offered her an awkward smile.

"I'm sorry, I.. I wanted to talk to you," Ruby said.

Emma closed her eyes for a moment and gritted her teeth. Every time she saw Ruby, the image of her with Regina, sharing the bed popped into her mind.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see right now, but I want to apologize. I also know that four months is a bit late, but.."

"Ruby, it's okay. You've said sorry, I heard it. All is good. It's not like it's going to change anything."

"I still would like to talk to you."

Emma sighed softly, but opened the door further. She let Ruby inside and the woman sat down at the table. Emma reluctantly sat down opposite the woman and forced a smile on her lips.

"You're probably wondering why I'm suddenly here after all this time, but I just didn't have enough courage before. I recently saw Regina walking in the streets and she looked miserable. I'd never seen her like that before the divorce and it's mainly my fault. I feel absolutely horrible for what I've done and if it's any consolation, Regina did feel terrible for.. cheating."