Chapter 13

Doyoung and haruto often practiced for basketball together. Their upcoming match was an internal one which wasn't even formal. It was a mixed match amongst the 2nd and 3rd years and was purely for entertainment. 

While doyoung considered these practice sessions as a fun hangout, haruto thought of them as dates. He loved being with doyoung and doyoung really wasn't helping his case because the more haruto knew him and the nicer he was to haruto, the more haruto would fall for him.

Haruto and doyoung sat on the floor of the basketball court, taking a break. Doyoung was drinking his water while looking at the moon. 

"The moon reminds me of a basketball." Doyoung suddenly said. 

"Why?" 

"Because it gives me happiness, like how the moon gives us light. To junghwan the moon probably looks like a donut." 

Haruto burst into laughter. Doyoung joined and they laughed together. 

"So, haruto-" doyoung began to speak but was cut off by something unexpected. 

"I've caught feelings for you." 

Doyoung stopped speaking and turned to look at haruto, whose cheeks were pink and whose eyes were filled with love. Doyoung blinked several times, not knowing how to process it.

"Haruto...you're a really nice dude. I love your company and i love being your friend. But the last time i was involved in a confessing-to-your-close-friend-situation, my friendship with that person was destroyed."

Haruto looked at him in bewilderment. Doyoung's eyes had sadness in them. And haruto then realized that he didn't know much about doyoung. 

"What...happened?" Haruto asked, curious and concerned.

That evening, doyoung revealed everything to haruto. About yedam, about his and doyoung's relationship, about the confession, everything. 

After doyoung was finally done talking, haruto looked at him with sympathy. He felt terrible for doyoung. And even worse that he confessed when doyoung was still struggling. 

He rubbed his face in embarrassment. 

"Such a shit time to confess, i'm sorry." Haruto said, an embarrassed smile drawing on his face.

Doyoung laughed. 

"No, don't say that. I'm glad you let your feelings out. I'm glad you think of me that way. But..." 

"You can't return those feelings. And i won't complain. I expected that. It's okay, though. I love being friends with you. I just want to help you get through all this for now." Haruto reassured. 

"I'm sorry." Doyoung said apologetically. And he really was. 

Haruto could hear the genuineness in his voice. 

"Don't apologize. It's not something you control. Plus it's just a little crush. I'll get over this soon." 

"I should be the one comforting you, haruto." 

They looked at each other and smiled. 

He had just been rejected. But haruto didn't feel heartbroken for some reason. It hurt a little bit but it was the kind he knew he would get over almost instantly.