Chapter 10

Like Jerome said before, everybody who was anybody attended these parties. He was right. As Fabian and his band were setting up and doing a sound check, I hung around Eddie, Patricia, Jerome and Joy.

They were all laughing, and talking about something I wasn't interested in. Eddie and Jerome both had their arms around their girlfriends, so I felt out of place.

I wanted to wander off. But, every time I did, Eddie would grab my arm and say, "Fabian told me to watch you. Please, stay."

And so I stayed.

I was looking down at my silhouette across the dark, green grass when I first heard Fabian's voice. I looked up at the outdoor stage.

"How are you all doing tonight?"

The crowd cheered.

"My name is Fabian, the guitarist right here is named Michael, on bass is Trevor, and on the drums is my good pal Drew. And we're 'The Reckless Age'. We'll be playing for you all night. We're going to be starting off by playing a song we wrote called 'Downtown'. Hope you like it."

This was the moment when I realized how little I knew about Fabian's band. I didn't know they wrote their own songs. I just thought Fabian was a solo songwriter. They started playing, and they sounded great. I was so proud of him.

***

An hour later, "The Reckless Age" took a break. Fabian surprised me by sneaking up behind me and gently wrapping his arms around my waist so he wouldn't startle me. I reached behind me and put my hands on the back of his head and whispered, "You guys are so great."

"I'm glad you like us."

I turned around and pressed my lips to his. I loved feeling our spark, I loved feeling him.

"They call it 'Fabina', don't they?" Michael, the guitarist, said. He was followed by Trevor and Drew. Fabian and I broke apart.

"Oh ha ha. Nina, I'd like to introduce you to some of my good friends."

"Nice to meet you guys." I smiled.

"It's very nice to meet you." Drew said, mysteriously.

Fabian blushed. "Don't get any ideas, Drew. Hands off."

"Hey, just being nice."

"Hey, good job you guys!" Eddie yelled, barging into our conversation.

"Yeah, you guys were great." Jerome added.

They thanked them, and soon we were all having one conversation until they had to get back on stage. I quickly kissed Fabian goodbye before we got torn apart by the crowd.

***

As always, they were great. I stood talking to whoever Eddie was talking to. Amber came and offered me some punch 45 minutes later.

"As long as it's not poison-y alcohol." I joked and took some.

"Don't tease about that, Nina. That was serious."

Just then, my phone started to ring. It was Victor. He was calling me. I contemplated whether or not to tell Eddie. I declined the call and put my iPhone back into my pocket.

"Who was it?" Amber asked.

"Nobody, I didn't recognize the number." I thought that was a good cover up.

2 minutes later, I received a text from Victor reading,

"You're going to regret not answering, Martin."

Oh, great. Whatever, he can wait another 30 minutes.

Awhile later, Fabian caught my attention by saying, "Thank you so much, folks. But now, we're going to do something special. I wrote a song last month called 'On My Mind'. I wrote it about a certain girl."