Chapter 13

"Any advice on how I'm going to defeat Rufus, Caroline, and their little minion spies?"

"I do know something, but I don't know if it's true. Rules might have changed. People who do know are Victor and Robert, they'll be back at Anubis by the time you get back."

"Well, what do you got?" I asked my Gran three mornings after our talk with Eddie and Fabian. Fall break would be ending soon.

"Eddie has to turn back into the Osirian, he doesn't have a choice if you want to defeat them."

***

"So, bro, do you have any plans for your birthday?"

"'Bro' that sounds so strange. In a good way, of course. Hmm, we can go out. Let's go out. All twelve of the Anubis residents."

"Good choice." I responded back to Eddie. I didn't want to tell him about the Osirian news, not yet.

"So. I heard you and Fabian at it last night."

My face turned bright red. "What! No, no, no. We didn't go at anything. I don't believe in that crap before marriage!"

Eddie started laughing. "Well then, what did I hear?"

"We did stuff but we didn't do it. I promise. I Sibuna swear. What are you, twelve?"

Sibuna swearing was a rule that all of the Sibuna members made up a month ago. If somebody said they Sibuna sweared, then they truly did mean what they were saying, as if their life depended on it.

"Oh, okay, okay!" Eddie held his hands up in defense. "And yes." He added at the end, with his signature smirk.

"What about you and Patricia? Hmm?"

"Yacker and I? Nah. There's no chance to do that stuff in Anubis, not when you have as many people as we do living in the House." Eddie zipped a suitcase.

"I agree." I responded.

We were packing for our departure from Fabian's home. I didn't want to leave. His family was so nice. I went back into my room, the windows were open. I could smell the brisk autumn air which I loved.

I grabbed everything from the bathroom that I needed, shoved it in my suitcases where all my clothes were, and left my room. I set my stuff at the top of the stairs before heading to Fabian's room. Music was playing - some British band I assumed.

"Hey, love." he stopped packing and walked over to me.

"Hey." I responded.

"I don't want to leave, either. But, look at the positive side. Once we head back to Anubis we can start figuring out how to defeat Rufus, Caroline, and their minions."

I didn't respond. He could tell I was sad, I saw it in his eye. Right then and there, he grabbed my face and started to kiss me, I kissed him back. I wish we could stay like this forever. "I love you."

"I love you too, Nina." Fabian walked back over to his suitcases, his black and blue plaid shirt was unbuttoned and blowing in the wind that was coming from outside.

"Do you need any help?"

"Nope, I think I got it. Hey, did you know that Eddie's birthday in two days is also Sophia's funeral?" he asked me, buttoning up his shirt and hiding his six-pack.

I was petrified. "Oh, shit. What do we do? Eddie said all twelve of us could go out. But with the funeral and everything-"

"We'll go out tomorrow night, and the next day Eddie will just have to face the fact that his birthday is the same day as the funeral. He's strong. C'mon, let's go."