Chapter 3

I woke up this morning to my alarm at 5 A.M., to be on the plane at 7:30, to take off at 8:00, to get on the taxi at 5 P.M., to be at college by 5:30. Just 12 and a half more hours. It is not tomorrow anymore. It is today. Today.

Amber and K.T. woke to my alarm too, so we all got dressed. I yawned and stretched, then walked to my dresser to throw on my bra, taking off my tank top, and putting on an old t-shirt and athletic shorts. K.T. and I wore very similar outfits, while on the other hand, Amber was putting on a fancy shirt with a pink skirt. Amber and K.T. both picked out their outfits the night before so they wouldn't have to dig through their suitcases. Then, we all triple checked our suitcases to make sure we had everything. We all put our hair up, not even bothering to put make up on, besides Amber who was making her way to the bathroom with eyeliner, mascara, and blush.

K.T. and I made our way down the steps with our suitcases and bags. We have as much luggage as Amber does. We set all of our things down by the front door. On the way back up, Eddie came out of his room with his things.

"Do you need any help?" I asked.

"No thanks, I got it." He replied with a weary smile.

K.T. and I both took Amber's things and set them by the front door too. By that time, Amber joined us in the kitchen.

"Who's up for pancakes, anyone?" K.T. asked, getting ingredients from the refrigerator and cabinet. "I want to major in baking."

We all agreed for pancakes. We didn't talk much, since we were all exhausted. We just sat at the kitchen table, listening to Ed Sheeran quietly from my phone, and watched K.T. She cooked so effortlessly. When she was done, she served 4 for each of us. They were delicious.

"K.T., this is amazing!" I said. "They're the best I have ever had!" and the others agreed with me. "Just so happens that baking is a minor of mine." I added with a smile.

"Thank you so much, guys. I really appreciate it." K.T. blushed. "And hey, maybe we'll have class together, Nina." She seemed like such a sweet girl, I knew we would become best friends.

"Who wants to bake when they could be designing fashion?" Amber questioned. We all laughed.

"Amber, people can do other things other than design fashion." Eddie joked through a mouth full of pancakes. Amber rolled her eyes. I was thankful for this moment. It reminded me of junior year.

After we were all done, I put all of our dishes in the dishwater and started it. I checked my watch, it was 5:45, time for me to wake up Gran. "I'll be right back, guys." I said, hopping down from my chair.

I woke my Gran up and told her it was time to go to the airport. She helped us carry our bags out to my car, and Eddie helped me hook some of our suitcases to the roof. Half of our bags went in the trunk and on the roof, and half on our laps in the car. I realized then, as we were pulling out of my driveway, that I would not see this house for a very long time. I looked at it one more time, and then drove down the road, not looking back once.

The drive to the airport was forty five minutes away. It seemed longer, since all of us sat in silence. That is, everybody fell asleep on the way there. We ended up getting there at 6:45. I woke everyone up.

We all got out of the car with our bags, while Eddie unstrapped the suitcases from the roof. Everybody embraced Gran and thanked her for letting them stay.

"You're welcome, dears. Please, feel free to stop by anytime during the summer." Gran smiled. I stayed behind while my friends talked to each other, waiting for me. This would be the third time I said goodbye to her.