Chapter 1

real (adjective) - existing or occurring as fact; actual rather than imaginary, ideal or fictitious

-

I sat in my Gran's kitchen while she was cooking dinner. The radio was playing, some soft jazz from the 80's. I looked at one of the tables and saw a picture of my parents in their teenage years embracing. I smiled. Even though I have seen that picture a thousand times, and I'll see it a thousand more, I couldn't help myself. Both of my parents died in a car accident. I still remember finding out that my parents died at only 8 years old - 10 years ago. I was devastated, considering I am an only child so I couldn't have that "sibling support". But, Gran brought me in with open arms and I am lucky to have her.

"Gran, do you need any help?" I asked, turning my body so I could face her.

"Oh no worries, dear. It's already done!" She replied back to me with her warm smile and starting scooping pasta out of the pan and onto two plates. I got out of my chair and walked over to retrieve mine. Gran gave me a look.

I laughed. "Hey, the least I can do is walk my plate to the table."

"You're a good girl, Nina." My Gran said as if she knew that I was going to do this.

We both sat back down at the table in our usual spots. I looked at my Gran to the right of me and said, "I will do the washing up tonight. You need to rest." Again, Gran gave me a look. "No worries! It's my night anyway." The late July heat was unbearable so I put my hair up.

"Oh alright, dear." She said looking guilty as she ate her pasta. I knew she felt bad.

"Gran, I am eighteen years old. A legal adult. I can wash up." I said, eating my noodles and realizing what I just said. Gran knew I would move out soon, and she dreaded that thought. Whoops. I thought to myself.

"I know. Just promise me you won't grow up too fast." She said with a fake grin.

"I promise." I said as I smiled back to her. Despite Gran's old age (seventy years), I am so glad that she is healthy again and still smiling.

Minutes went by and we talked about how our day went. We both worked, Gran helping out at the retirement home that she would go to soon, and I at our local library every Monday through Thursday from nine to five. I love my job - considering I love reading. We lived a simple life in the summers.

Noticing that she was done and so was I (and trying to change the subject), I said, "Rest." As I picked our plates up and set them in the sink.

"Goodnight, dear." Gran sighed as she got up. I walked over to her and whispered good night back. I watched her walk upstairs before I finally walked back to the sink and started washing all of the dirty dishes and putting them in the dishwasher. I looked at the clock which read 7:00, which was pretty early for me to go to bed but not for my Gran.

I was listening to the radio while cleaning up when I heard a knock on the door. Who could be here this late? I pondered. I set the washrag down, turned the water off, and walked to the door.

Unsure of who would be standing there on the other side, I opened the door carefully. A blonde girl in red high heels was standing there, making a noise that sounded like a squeal. But this wasn't just any blonde girl in red high heels, this was Amber!

"Amber!" I exclaimed. I hugged her.

"Nina, it is SO good to see you." She said, through smiling teeth.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, aware that I could not stop smiling. Amber had been my roommate when we stayed at the House of Anubis in high school. She had been my second best friend I made while I was there (Fabian, my ex, was the first). She was your total movie diva/popular girl, besides the rude part. Amber was very nice, but sometimes self-centered. She was from the U.K., just like all of the other residents who were staying at that boarding school (considering it was located in the U.K.), but one other person in the House of Anubis was American just like me, his name was Eddie.