Chapter 16

Calm down, Nina. Calm down. Just calm down. Just-

"Nina?"

"WHAT!" I yelled. Someone has interrupted my thoughts.

"Pass the jam, please."

I looked up, dazed. I passed the jam to Alfie. All 12 of us were sitting at the dining table, eating breakfast like the old times. We have to tell them now.

"Mick, Mara, Joy and Willow- we have something to tell you." I said. Done. I did it. I said my part.

Fabian picked up on their questioning looks, "Since its January first today, we need to borrow you at noon."

"Um, why?" Mick asked. "What does it being January first have to do with anything?"

Patricia shook her head. "Okay, just ignore the date. You wouldn't understand."

"Anyway," Alfie started, his mouth was full of food. "We need you to come and follow us into the woods." I laughed in my head. That sounded so wrong.

"Why, Alfie? Are there zombies out there?" Joy joked.

"No, there isn't." Amber said, batting her eyelashes. "Just, please. Trust us. It's too complicated. We'll tell you everything after it happens."

"Does this have anything to do with why you eight have been sneaking off so much?"

"Yes, yes it does, Mara." Jerome said, without hesitation.

Eddie continued, "If I told you I needed my powers back, you wouldn't understand. But I will tell you, or else you'll keep asking. I need my powers back. It's the only way we can defeat Rufus, Denby and their minions. Please, don't ask questions."

"Sounds interesting!" Willow perked.

I scoffed. "You have no idea."

***

Just calm down, Nina. Calm down. Just calm down. Just-

"Um, Nina."

"WHAT!" I yelled again.

"You're shaking, from head to toe like a wet puppy. Do you need to sit?"

I was dazed and confused. I was fuzzy. I was a wreck.

"No, I'm fine." I broke my stare off the floor and looked up to who was talking to me. Amber.

I put my jacket on before heading outside. All of the Anubis residents were meeting outside of Anubis. I was still a little dreary from last night. The high school and college got together  to celebrate the New Year and watch the ball drop. It was amazing because no body tried to poison me this time. That's always good, right?

Little by little, all of the Anubis residents gathered, and we headed toward the woods at 11:55.  Fabian held my hand as I repeated the simple phrase in my head, and mouthing the words.

Calm down, Nina. Calm down. Just calm down.

Frobisher, Victor, and Harriet were already standing where we were supposed to meet.

"Glad you twelve decided to show up."

"Victor?" Mick asked, shockingly. "And is that- no- it can't be. Robert Frobisher-Smythe?"

I had almost forgot that Mick didn't do his senior year here, like me.

"Looks like somebody forgot to fully inform the newbies." Victor said, his hands in his coat.