-- 24 --

Yaz's POV

Yaz sat outside a coffee shop, take away coffee in hand and earphones in, listening to music on Spotify.

It was the morning after her family had met the Doctor and Yaz could still feel the relief coursing through her veins. She had known in her heart that they would be accepting but she had just got really worried about it. She guessed that everyone did.

When she had woken up at six, her normal wake up time thanks to police work, she had crawled out of bed without disturbing the Doctor and had gone down to a coffee shop she knew was open at this time.

She didn't have a shift today, as it was Saturday, which she always had off unless something extremely bad came up. So she sat, drinking coffee and listening to music.

And she didn't notice that the Doctor had sat down next to her until she tapped her on the shoulder. Yaz jumped, nearly spilling her coffee and she ripped out her earphones.

"Doctor!" she cried. "You gave me a heart attack!"

"Sorry," she apologised, her voice betraying that she was still half-asleep. "I've been sitting here for about five minutes, but you didn't notice."

Yaz stammered out an apology. "Why are you up this early, Doctor?"

"You got up and I woke up and followed about five minutes later. I know that you like this coffee shop."

"And how do you know that?"

The Doctor went silent. Yaz laughed, putting two and two together. The Doctor had been spying on her when they weren't together yet.

"Look, Doctor, no more stalking or I'll pull out my uniform."

The Doctor nodded in agreement. "What are you listening to?"

"Oh, just random stuff," Yaz said, showing the Doctor her screen. "I listen to anything and everything, really."

"Can I show you a song?"

"Sure," Yaz beamed, handing her phone over to the blonde.

The Doctor's POV

The song was one that reminded the Doctor perfectly of Yaz. Before they kissed in that game of truth or dare, this song was what she lived by. It perfectly described her feelings.

She typed in the song and smiled as it appeared at the top of the search list. Yaz put in one earphone, offering the other to the Time Lord.

Yaz pressed play and the Doctor smiled as she heard the opening beats.

Yaz's POV

I've met someone that makes me feel seasick

Oh what a skill to have

So many skills that make her distinctive

But they're not mine to have, not they're mine

Yaz was surprised as she realised that she recognised this song. She had often thought of the Doctor when she heard it. She had played it on repeat so often, staring into the distance and thinking of her.

If this is a rom-com

Kill the director!

If this is a rom-com

Kill the director!

Please

But now Yaz didn't want to kill the director. Now everything had resolved and Yaz was left with a beautiful girl to share everything with.

The Doctor's POV

"Yaz..." the Doctor whispered, leaning towards her. Yaz smiled and closed the gap, pressing her lips to the Time Lord's.

This is no Bridget Jones

This no Bridget Jones

Kill the director!

This is no Bridget Jones

This no Bridget Jones

Would someone kill the director?!

"I love you, Yasmin Khan," the Doctor said. "I truly love you."

"I love you so much, Doctor," Yaz whispered. "You are the universe."

The song finished and went on to play another song, Yellow.

The Doctor and Yaz smiled warmly and continued to sit together, Yaz drinking her coffee and both of them enjoying Yaz's playlist.

A/N: The song featured is called Kill the Director by The Wombats. I have created a Spotify playlist inspired by this fanfic and can be found here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3clm5f4rqdHVker5fGPaQt?si=SkpBdbGuTIWnq-b-TbEDgQ

Also, Jodie Whittaker's cover of Yellow is magical! I'm obsessed with it!