-- 22 --

Yaz's POV

When the Doctor had finished showering, Yaz had put all of the clothes back into the wardrobe and the cups of coffee into the bin. Once she made the bed, it looked like a whole new room to what it had been before.

Yaz noticed that on the wall above the Doctor's desk was a picture of the fam at their holiday at Midnight, and beneath that was a slip from a photo booth with Yaz and the Doctor.

Most of them were of them kissing. Unfortunately, that's what had happened pretty much as soon as they stepped into the booth.

The Doctor had been so cheery then. And then the Master happened. And then this recent thing with Ruth. Yaz hadn't seen the Doctor smile since. Or rather, Yaz hadn't seen the Doctor.

"Yaz," the Doctor entered the room, causing Yaz to jump and turn to face the Time Lord. She looked slightly better, dressed in her usual clothes, minus the hooded cloak.

The Doctor looked around at the floor, "Did you clean up in here?"

Yaz nodded and the Doctor nodded gratefully but didn't smile. How Yaz longed to see her smile.

"Are you gonna watch the movie?" asked Yaz.

"What is it?"

"Mamma Mia."

"Oh, okay. That's one of my favs," the Doctor said, leaving the room. Yaz could see that she was trying to sound upbeat, but it didn't fool her. The Doctor was really upset. And Yaz wanted to make it better.

Ryan and Graham had already claimed one of the comfortable sofas in the cinema, a purple one, in the front row. Graham and Ryan each held a giant bowl of popcorn and Yaz saw that there were two sitting on the small table, presumably for her and the Doctor.

There was also cans of every soft drink imaginable – Graham must've raided the esky. Yaz took a coke and a bowl of popcorn and headed up one step to the light blue sofa, behind the boys. Ryan had set up the movie and the menu music was blaring through the surrounding speakers, probably too loudly, but Yaz didn't complain.

The Doctor entered last a few minutes later, glancing at the popcorn and ignoring it before Graham protested and she reluctantly took the bowl. She didn't take a drink though.

The Doctor sat beside Yaz, on the opposite side of the sofa. She was distancing herself again. Yaz could almost feel her pain through her expression, the way that she moved and the way that she didn't want to be close to her fam. Not even Yaz.

Ryan clicked play and the movie begun. It was immediately clear that Ryan was going to sing along to every song and Graham was going to make comments about actors. He went on a giant tirade about Meryl Streep and Yaz was close to throwing her popcorn at him.

By the middle of the film, Yaz had finished her popcorn and her coke and could tell that she was going to regret it deeply later. The Doctor had placed her popcorn on the floor ages ago when Mamma Mia was sung. Yaz didn't think that she had eaten very much.

"Doctor," whispered Yaz. The Doctor turned to Yaz with an inquisitive glance.

"Come here," Yaz gestured, holding out an arm. The Doctor moved towards her and let Yaz put an arm around her shoulder. In another five minutes, the Doctor had laid her head on Yaz's shoulder.

The Doctor's POV

The Doctor appreciated Yaz's comforting touch having been feeling devoid of warmth and happiness for the past two weeks. All that had happened with Ruth had made her feel terrible and it still hadn't faded.

But all that the fam had done for her – the movie, the popcorn – it made her slightly forget about it all. And Yaz. Yaz holding her close filled her with warmth. She didn't feel quite alone anymore.

And when the film ended and the credits rolled, Waterloo blaring through the speakers, she felt... content.

Ryan switched the movie off when Waterloo finished and then stood up, announcing that he was off to play some video game, while Graham was going to bed.

The Doctor and Yaz didn't move.

"Better?" asked Yaz quietly.

The Doctor gave a small, warm smile. "Better."