[23] Relationship

☆Deathbringer☆

If there was one thing that set Greatness from others, it was this.

When I got a new girlfriend, I always told Glory first. At first, it was a big deal. She teased me around in elementary school, whistled when I was with my girlfriend, and laughed when I told her about my first kiss. In middle school, she just listened when I ran on. I think I did it because I was lonely, and Glory was kind enough to listen to me. It wasn't like I ever took them out on dates-- with school in the morning and weekly assassination training at night, I simply didn't have any spare time. And if I had any, I spent them with Glory.

Yeah, I was total trash when it came to dating.

The day after I my first kiss with Greatness, I finally mustered the courage to tell Glory. We hadn't talked for a long time, so we met at her house for a sleepover. We were talking about getting ready for high school. After watching a movie, we started to talk about it more.

And then I told her about Greatness. I was surprised myself- I sounded so genuine. Like I did mean it. I could tell Glory was a little surprised, too.

And then I thought about what Greatness told me- about starting over. Telling Glory my secrets to see if she accepted them.

But how could I? The Deathbringer she knew wasn't me. If I took that mask off, what would our friendship be? It would be something like talking to a whole different person. Letting Glory know how I killed mercilessly, how I had blood on my hands- never.

So I went on and on about Greatness. Maybe I sounded obssessed to her, but the truth was, I didn't want her to think that I was simply hiding the truth. So I kept covering it with long descriptions about Greatness. How she liked dark chocolate, how we talked about some things while eating chocolate ice cream and how we confessed.

Glory's reaction was a little different that day- she was listening carefully, dropping small nods here and there, a frown on her face. That made me more scared, so I kept going, even making stuff up. I couldn't stop, because I had tried the method to get Glory uninterested, but she was interested more than ever.

Did I drop a hint about who I really was? Why was she staring at me so strangely? Did my mask come off? My heart started thumping too loudly and I had to stop. And Glory kept staring at me without a word. And she kept stsring until her grandmother came to turn the lights out.

We usually talked until late at sleepovers. But this time, neither of us said a word.

The next day, I invited Greatness to our lunch table.

It might have started as a means to keep Greatness' mouth shut, but I think it did get bigger until I kind of recognized it as love. I don't know what made her so special, but maybe it was the fact that I didn't have to act around her. She knew what I had done, and yet she stayed by my side. She was a breath of fresh air.

Greatness was always the leading one in the relationship. She bought me frozen yogurt whenever we rode home in Greatness' car. When I called, she always came to my house, even when she was busy. I tried to mimick her, but it wasn't as good as what she tried to do for me.

She was always very careful with me, careful when we held hands, when we hugged. And her eyes were so vulnerable that I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. There was an eager look on her face when she stared at me, somehow expectant and encouraging.

I didn't know why she gave me those looks.

I talked to Glory at school like I always did, but Greatness didn't mind. She just watched me carefully, like she wanted a reaction out of me. It was the first time a girlfriend ever looked at me that way, and it always puzzled me.