[25] Regret

☆Deathbringer☆

I'm in love with Glory Bright.

That was the only thing that passed my mind when I walked home from Greatness' car. I loved her much more than I had realized. I was walking towards her even when I didn't want to, worried about her when I had just broken up with Greatness.

Yeah, I was a piece of shit. I agree. I just didn't know that I was capable of feeling so strongly for a person. And because I didn't know, I hurt a lot of people. Greatness was one of them.

I think I always felt it, but I had been lying to myself until that moment. When I saw Glory crying at my doorstep, I knew it had come to a point that I would someday burst.

I also realized then that I could never let Glory know.

I realized how horrible I had been to Greatness when we were eating chocolate ice cream in the living room. Watching Gone with the Wind and seeing how Rhett Butler, a man that has chased the main character for years, tell her how he didn't give a damn- that hit me. Seeing his tired look, just letting everything go. She must have felt like that.

That was when I started crying, silent tears dropping from my face. Glory was too intent watching the movie to know, thank God, but I kept seeing Greatness out of nowhere. I had been a jerk, leaving our dates all the time, leaving her all alone. Letting her like me, telling her I liked her when I knew I loved Glory. And maybe I did like her, a lot. Still, it wasn't enough to outshine Glory. Nothing was enough to outshine Glory.

Maybe I tricked myself into thing that someone as same as me- coming from the same kind, someone who knew my secrets- might be able to outshine her someday. Because I could never be with Glory.

Because fate was cruel. No matter how much I regretted it, it was there.

Why?

First, I was a criminal. I simply had killed too many people. I never told her, and she would leave me if I ever did. I never wanted her to know. I wanted to remain in her head as nice, charming Deathbringer. Not a boy that killed people for money.

Second, one of my assassinations were on Glory's father.

Yes.

I shot her father in the head.

"I killed Slaughter," he says when the guards come into the room. "Let me go to Battlewinner. I will go to the mission with Mother and leave the camp."

He hides his bloody hands in his pockets. Partly because everyone is staring at him. Partly because they are shaking. He doesn't look at Slaughter's dead body on the ground. He can't.

Battlewinner laughs when she sees him, her lips so bright in the darkness. Mother is staring at him with- fear. It's a look that says, what have you done? You are a murderer, an assassin, your innocence is dead.

It has been long dead, Mother, he wants to say, but no words come out. He patiently waits for instruction.

"You probably heard that you and your mother will be able to get out of this place one you complete the task, haven't you?" Battlewinner gives him her sharp grin. A girl is next to her- a girl with black hair, staring at him with dark eyes. "Expect your mother to be killed if you don't succeed."