Family

Pepper sat, quietly content, watching the six children run manically round the park trying to capture Phil.
Steve was wheezing heavily, but he refused to give up, Natasha and Clint ran hand in hand and Tony had plasters stuck up and down his legs covering various cuts and scrapes. Thor by far was the fastest; but Phil had, thus far, managed to avoid being caught. And Bruce just toddled along behind the others laughing to himself.

Maria sat by Pepper's side, shouting encouragement to the children, laughing when Thor finally took Coulson down and the others joined them in a pile on the ground. She snapped a few photos; she'd kept her camera with her and had loads of great shots.
Pepper could hear Natasha giggling as Phil tickled her and "no fair that's cheating!" shouted in Clint;s distinct voice. The group eventually broke apart and made its way back over the field to where the two women sat. They offered out bottles of juice and water to the tired and out of breath children.

Pepper pushed hair out of Natasha's face as she sat on her knee. Clint sat by her side; gulping from a bottle of orange juice before handing it to Nat. Steve and Thor had gone straight to Maria.

She handed an inhaler to Steve while nodding to Thor's repeated "did you see me? I caught him! Did you see Maria? Did you see?"

Tony, Phil and Bruce walked back over together; Bruce in Phil's arm and Tonys hand clutched in his free hand.

They'd become a little family over the past month. But it occurred to Pepper that it was if they'd formed three smaller families too. Natasha and Clint had gravitated towards Pepper; they went to her when they needed help or were in trouble, and they felt more comfortable telling her the truth. It was Pepper's bed they went to when they couldn't sleep, and her they cried to when they were hurt.
Bruce and Tony had latched onto Phil. Tony showed all his inventions to Phil, asking his opinion and taking his advice, Bruce would only go down to sleep if Phil put him to bed; refusing to settle if anyone else even tried.
And the eldest two had become most comfortable with Maria; Thor laughed at her jokes and made Maria laugh in return, while Steve and her had a lot in common, they talked about the books and artists they both liked.
Pepper smiled to herself as she held Natasha closer, putting an arm round Clint and kissing him softly on his sweaty forehead.