Left Alone

It was a Tuesday night when Phil and Maria sat Pepper down and announced they had both been called into work tomorrow; Pepper was truly unimpressed.
Originally she was supposed to have just a week off work, but when all this had happened she'd taken 'extended leave' with little explanation to her staff as to why. Fury had ensured her that they'd make other arrangements; but two months later and she was still the primary carer for the six children. Honestly, she did't mind all that much; they'd settled into a routine with her, and she loved spending time with them more than she'd ever admit to anyone! And that included the six of them once they returned to their adult selves; if SHIELD ever did make a breakthrough on that front!
She stared at them in disbelief; at least two adults had been with the kids at any time ever since 'the incident'. It was agreed anything less would be unmanageable; even with Steve to help. But here they were, telling Pepper that they were both leaving her alone with all of them.

"But... But... You can't"

"I'm sorry Pepper, I really am..."

"Are you really Maria?" she asked sarcastically, knowing the other woman spoke the truth but that fact didn't make her like the reality of her situation any more.

"I am! But SHIELD thinks they may have some useful information and Fury wants to talk to me about it while medical want an update from Phil on each of the children"

"Can't you take some of them with you? Just Clint and Thor, or Tony and Natasha?" she asked hopefully, knowing exactly what the answer would be.

"We can't Pep, i'm sorry; we're gonna be in meetings all day, besides, you're just trying to get rid of the troublesome ones!" She couldn't deny it; it was true. she smiled fondly at the four trouble makers of the group as they coloured quietly at the table; knowing the calm wouldn't last.

The weather had gone rapidly downhill now it was autumn and trying to occupy six children indoors; especially a group which included Thor, Tony Stark, Clint Barton and Natasha Romanoff; which were all pretty restless as adults, was becoming increasingly difficult. It was harder and harder to get them to go to bed on time as they burnt off less and less energy during the day. They'd soon realised how easy they'd had it when they could just take them to the park for the day. Phil had even resorted to letting them use the gym a few days previously after several of the kids had been up way past midnight. This trip resulted in both Thor and Clint breaking some of the machines and equipment, and Steve spraining his ankle, now needing crutches to get around. This prompted Pepper to call the gym completely off-limits.

On Wednesday morning Pepper awoke to six kids; already having had their breakfast, watching Monsters Inc on the large TV in the lounge. She thought fondly of Maria and Phil; having done something to make her day a little easier, that was until she found the note they'd left:

'Pepper,
Bruce hasn't been well – out of tylenol. Also, in desperate need of food – cupboards empty!
Thanks, P & M.
Ps. Natasha's coat is missing, think we left it at cinema yesterday, and one of Steve's crutches has snapped in half (We suspect Thor!)
Also, good luck! We owe you one!'

Pepper exhaled, unimpressed, blowing her fringe out of her face. Well that planned her day for her...