Backup

Fury entered his office to find his 'plan B' stood uneasily in the corner. She turned startled as he entered; hand clutching something inside her bag.

"If you're holding a taser there Miss Lewis please don't use it. You're safe here; I just need to ask for your help"

"You want help from me?"

"Yes. I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out. I'm in a difficult situation here"

"Has this got something to do with The Avengers and what really happened to them? Because my friend Jane, she's really worried and no one will tell her anything"

"I'm sorry about that, but this is really a delicate issue. If you agree to help I will organise someone to speak to Miss Foster about the situation."

"But, I mean, if she's not security cleared; I'm definitely not! Why me?"

"You were available and I was desperate"

"Wow. That was brutally honest and not at all tactful"

"It was truthful. I thought you'd appreciate the truth"

"Seems weird, hearing you talk about honesty. You're the director of a top secret, covert affairs spy organisation"

"We're getting off topic here and time is a bit of an issue, so Miss Lewis, are you in?"

"You haven't told me why exactly I'm here yet director"

"I need a babysitter"

Darcy raised her eyebrows; "Seriously? That's why you sent a private jet all the way to New Mexico to pick me up, you need a babysitter?"

"You don't understand Miss Lewis; I need a babysitter for the Avengers"

This had to be a joke, it was the only explanation as far as Darcy was concerned. Her apprehension was clearly obvious to Fury as he picked the conversation back up;

"Sit down Miss Lewis, let me explain. A few months ago The Avengers were sent on a mission to investigate a potential weapon being stored in a warehouse in downtown Brooklyn. There had been odd radiation readings from that area, and the general chatter around town was that someone was building a weapon with the intent of wiping New York off the map. That was the last time we saw them"

Darcy sat silently opposite Fury, hand still gripping her taser in her bag. "Okay..." she prompted him to continue.

"Coulson relocated his team and brought them back here. The weapon had gone off while they were inside the warehouse; it had affected them. Its' still affecting them... The Avengers were regressed to childhood, and they're a bit of a handful"

Darcy was still not convinced. It all sounded too farfetched, it was ridiculous.

Fury passed a file over the desk to her; "Read this, I'll be back in a minute. I need to go check on them"

Darcy watched him leave before turning back to open the file. Inside were notes and photos dated from when The Avengers had first gone missing. Six scared looking children; various ages and states of health. The notes listed their ages, injuries and general observations from their initial visit to the infirmary. Darcy's mouth fell slack a little as she looked through the images; it was so clearly them. Since she'd first met Thor strange things had happened in her life; not to mention the fact that she was now very good friends with a team of superheroes, but this was by far the strangest thing that she'd encountered. How on earth had SHIELD kept this quiet for so long?

Fury re-entered the room, cursing under his breath about missing children and incompetent staff.

"Well?" he asked expectantly.

"I'm in" she nodded; "but only if you tell Jane what's going on"

"We'll send someone to speak to her"

"Great. So, where are the kids?"