Chapter Four

Some strange part of me wondered if I just didn't move if he would just go away. If he would forget this ever happened and just walk away. I sat up and pushed my hair out of my face. It was soaking wet. I looked up to see him holding out his hand for me to take. Fat chance. I pushed myself off the ground and grabbed my back as I bowed to him.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Running away like a coward!" the seamstress shouted. It seemed she acted how she wanted in front of even the king. I glared up at her.

"I told you I'd talk to you tomorrow!" I shouted back at her then flushed and turned back to the king.

"Do you often let people control you or is it a force of habit?" He seemed to be on the verge of a sneer. My eyes flicked up to him then over to the seamstress. She glared at me, and I returned it. I winced and looked back at the king. He was still staring at me. Did he really want me to answer his question?

"I don't mean to cause you trouble." I stared down at the ground.

"What about me?!" The seamstress shouted. I turned to shout back at her and started walking towards her. The king grabbed my arm and my feet slipped from beneath me and the wind pulled him down with me. I groaned as my head wacked against the stone, then groaned again when the king landed on top of me. At least I broke his fall. Maybe he would be less angry if... I looked up into his eyes and knew that was not the case. His glare seemed to burn the rain itself. He stood up and dragged me up with him.

"Leave." He commanded the seamstress. Her gaze was hard but she bowed and left.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for you to-"

"Just stop." What did he want from me? What could I say to make him happy? "Are you trying to get yourself killed?"

"What?" I blinked away the rain so I could see his expression. Furious. He was going to kill me. That's what he meant. I backed away from him only realise he was still holding onto my arm. I realised a shaky breath and tried not to shake. He wouldn't. He wouldn't...

"If you die before the wedding after what happened to the carriage, it will be seen as an act of war. Is that what you want? Do you want to start an entire war because you couldn't talk to a servant? Do you have some sort of ulterior motive or are you just as careless as you seem?"

Now, I couldn't even meet his eyes. His grip was still tight and I couldn't help but shake. Before the wedding. At least I would get to see my mother one last time then. He would keep me alive a little while longer, but it was clear my presence was not one he wanted or appreciated.

"I'm sorry." I could barely speak. My voice was weak and he let go of me.

"I'm sick of those words." He let go of me. I saw his elbow jerk and flinched away from him. He paused for a moment, then proceeded to take off his jacket and put it around my shoulders. "If you get a cold or a fever I will still carry out that wedding. Go inside and warm up."

I didn't say anything and walked inside. It must have been his personal sitting room. It was all black with a few red linings and trimmings here and there. It was the darkest room I had been in so far. I tried to head straight for the door but he moved in front of me. It was clear he didn't want me to be here. Why was he stopping me from leaving? Oh. I took off his jacket and reached out to give it to him.

He hesitated then walked into another room, leaving me holding out his jacket. I turned to look at him. He was lighting his fire. How long would I have to stay with him? I lowered my arm and looked down at the dark carpet I was soaking. What was his plan?

"Come sit." He ordered. I only hesitated a second before his glare had me tripping over to the chair by the fire. I sat down then held up his jacket again. He stared at me with a blank expression for a moment then took it and laid it out by the fire. He walked into the other room and I got up and started to move towards the door. I tried to quiet my breath but as I focused so much on it I felt it become uneven and I let out a small cough.