Chapter Sixteen

"I can't tell you that." U-jin's eyes rested on my arm, covered in dozens of ribbons. I leaned against a pillar and watched him carefully. I could see the stress in his shoulders, see the uncomfort in his shifting feet, see the knowledge in his eyes. He had what I wanted and wouldn't give it to me.

"U-jin, do you think of me as a prisoner here?" I asked. His eyes flicked to mine and I smiled, he knew better than to answer. "Am I just chattel to be passed around and bought or if something is stolen from me, don't I have the right to take it back? That sword isn't his. It's mine. And I want it back."

"He said-"

"Am I not your queen as he is your king?" I pushed.

"Don't do this to me, Aera," he complained. "You know I can't go against his orders."

"What exactly were his orders?" I asked.

"Not to let you get your word back." He started walking away from me and I followed him.

"So, he didn't forbid you from telling me the location?" I jumped in front of him and he sighed and tried to move around me, but I was quick enough to block his way. He could have easily moved me, but instead he stood still and met my eyes with a lazy annoyance.

"He left it in the battle strategy room. However, that room is guarded and I won't tell you where it is." U-jin pushed my shoulder and moved me aside. I smiled and watched him turn the corner. Yun-hee came out from her hiding place with a long, dramatic sigh.

"This is not a good idea." She shook her head and reached for a loose strand of hair that wasn't there. "You won't be able to get in."

"Just don't drop any of the bedsheets. We'll need them all." She went back to her hiding place and grabbed the pile of sheets I'd told her to bring. Yun-hee told me where the battle strategy room was and we went to the floor above it, spacing roughly where it would be beneath us. And the closest window.

This was not a new method for me and if I was successful, it was really their fault for not anticipating I'd come for my trophy. I sat on a bench with Yun-hee and we started tying the sheets together.

"This seems dangerous," Yun-hee murmured. "Is the sword really that important?"

"Yes," I nodded. "I haven't done anything else worth merit-"

"You married a king!" She took my hands. "What do you want? You have everything you need. You don't need to go after some stupid sword."

"I don't want his leftovers, his mercies, his wedding gifts!" I tied the chain to the closest pillar. "I earned that sword. That sword was never his. And it was certainly never his to take. I won't be treated like a prisoner. I am his wife, yes, but I am just as powerful, even in his own palace."

"You're thinking wrong." She tugged on the rope to make sure it was secure. "You don't have to fight him to have power. You can take the things that are his and choose to be happy."

"You won't change my mind." I threw the rope out the window.

"You'll wish I had." She sighed and leaned against the pillar, squeezing her eyes shut. I watched her for a moment then grabbed the rope and started my descent down. I kicked off the wall and realised the rope was only a few feet too short of the window. However, the large ledge was close enough for me to safely land on and I could probably jump up and reach the rope again. I let go and felt a small rush of my heart that only dropped from the pressure of my feet hitting the stone.

It was cold this high up, and I became increasingly aware of what one misstep could mean. I looked at the window in front of me. Curtains covered my view of the room inside. I slowly moved to one side and opened one half of the window, then moved over and pulled out the other half.