Chapter Twenty Nine

I lied awake in bed. I had fallen asleep for a few hours but my dreams had just taken me back to the camp. I woke up sure someone was coming to hurt me. I felt weak and paranoid. Kai was asleep beside me, his arms loosely thrown over me.

I turned to look at him.

He looked calm and more at peace than I had seen him since his day off. I put my hand on his face and traced his jaw. He shifted in his sleep but didn't wake up. I envied his ability to sleep through the night and not be so easily woken up. I had a feeling if the camp was attacked right now he would sleep through it if I didn't wake him.

Our clothes were thrown aimlessly on the ground.

His eyes had changed when he saw what laid beneath the makeup and the clothes. He'd traced all of my scars with his hands, then kissed them, with sadness and anger rising in his eyes. Later he'd covered us with the sheets and held my face in his hands and stared down at me in silence.

I asked him what he was doing and he said he was just savouring every moment we had. He'd promised me we'd never be separated again and other useless things he probably wouldn't be able to keep when my father found us.

Holding him. Touching him. Kissing him. It all felt... like a build up to a storm. It felt like I was stealing time that was sure to catch up with me. I felt his heart like the beating of a clock's arm. I wanted to live. I wanted to live with him.

Maybe I was just a little broken.

Maybe I was overthinking everything. Maybe we would rally our forces, take back the castle, and throw out my father. I wouldn't stop them from killing either. That was [art of the war my father had started. I'd told him that day: if you want a war with him, you'll have a war with me too. I had chosen my side and I was glad of my decision. Kai was everything I wanted now.

Everything I was afraid of losing.

I pushed free of his arms and pulled a robe around my exposed body. I walked over to the small table at the edge of the tent and poured water into one of the small glasses. I held it tightly in my hands and stared at the shadows of the trees against the moonlight.

I wouldn't let my father take everything I had. I was going to fight him with everything I had. I closed my eyes and pictured him on Kai's throne. I was no longer the docile daughter he desired. I was going to take back our kingdom and I was going to make sure he would never have power over me again.

I squeezed the glass too hard and it shattered in my hands. The largest shard remained in my hands and pierced through my skin. The sounds caused Kai to roll off the bed. I winced for him and watched as he scrambled to grab his robe and sword and turned to face me and glass.

He lowered his sword and allowed his eyes to travel to blood dripping off my hand. He put his sword down and rubbed his eyes, dragging his feet over then avoiding the glass on the floor to grab my hand. He grabbed my wrist and I opened my hand to reveal the bloody piece of glass. He took it and put it on the table. He pulled me to bed and from beneath it he pulled out a med kit.

It seems he knew I would end up hurting myself.

I didn't know if I was appreciative or annoyed.

His eyelids were heavy as he grabbed the candle off of the bed and placed it next to us. He pulled out tweezers and started pulling out the smaller shards of glass from the wound. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"You can keep the sword." He paused and I could feel his gaze resting on me. "I don't want it anymore."

"Why?" His voice broke through the sleep that had been resting in his mouth throughout the night.