Chapter Seven

He kept coming closer until I had nowhere to back away into. I crouched in the corner of the room but he grabbed my arm and dragged me across the floor. He flung open the door to the terrace and I scrambled for something to hold but there was nothing. He climbed onto the ridge and pulled me up with him. I looked down at the drop and then at him. He was smiling, a cruel smirk that seemed to exude the malignance in him.

"Kai-"

"What did you call me?" He snarled into my ear.

"Your majesty. Please put me down." My voice was shaking. He let out a low laugh and I met his wild eyes.

"I told you. I only needed you until the wedding." He bit back another chuckle then raised his eyes to meet mine. "See you on the other side."

He gave me a two fingered salute then shoved me off the terrace. A scream ripped out of me and I reached for him, but he was too far. He looked down at me as I fell with a smirk resting on his face.

"Why are you screaming?!"

I woke up to U-jin standing in my doorway with his sword drawn. I sat up and pushed my hair out of my face. I was sweating and tears were freshly stained on my cheeks. I took a moment to catch my breath.

"I need art supplies." I pulled my covers off of me and pulled my dressing gown on.

"What?" He asked. "Did you have a bad dream?"

"You're not safe." I pointed at him. "Don't expect me to talk to you if it all goes straight to him."

"Is that about-"

"Art supplies." I repeated. "If I'm going to be stuck here all day, I want to do something productive."

"What kind of art supplies?" He sighed.

"A canvas and paint and palettes. Oh, and an easel and anything else you need to paint a portrait." I folded my arms and waited for him to move. Finally he gave in and left the room. I went to my washroom and started to scrub my skin.

I could still feel his hands on my arms. I could still see his eyes. I could still see his smile. I was headed straight for that course. The moment I got married he was going to kill me. I knew it. Maybe he'd wait a day. A week. A month. However long he thought he could get away with, or until I made a bigger mistake. I put back on my nightgown and dressing gown. When I came back out into my sitting room there were a few maids laying out sheets across the carpet.

They continued for another two minutes. U-jin came and stood next to me.

"What brought this on?" He asked.

"Would you rather me find something else to do? Outside?" I folded my arms and watched him roll his eyes. I smiled triumphantly.

"Are you good at painting?" He raised an eyebrow and turned to face me.

"I have had years of lessons!" I exclaimed. "My father has one of my paintings in his study! I paint just fine!"

"I just can't imagine you sitting still that long." He laughed. I narrowed my eyes.

"I can sit still just fine. When I have a task. I also don't sit when I paint." A maid came up and gave me a handful of clothes.

"For you to paint in." She smiled and bowed.

"War armour." I smiled and went back into the washroom. I hung up my night clothes on the wall and slipped into the brown top and long black skirt. A line of skin showed and I grinned at the mirror. Nari was right. The seamstress had some strange and scandalous designs. I walked back into the sitting room and U-jin looked at me with wide eyes. I smiled up at him and took a seat on the stool and picked up the pencil. I met his eyes.