Chapter Ten

I went over it again in my mind. The matriarch of the family held one end of the ribbon and handed it to you when you entered. You then gathered it in your hands and walked to the patriarch of your family who would then tie you to your betrothed and the rest was all 'repeat after me.' I could do this.

U-jin never came.

Kai came to meet me at the door. His eyes travelled across my gown and a long sigh came out of him.

"Why did I expect anything less?" He murmured. I smiled beneath my veil. At least I succeeded in my dress plan. It would probably be my last victory but it was still a victory. I gripped my bouquet of flowers and spun it around.

The doors opened and Kai and I split to different corners of the room. My father's first concubine stood holding the end of my ribbon. Resentment built up in me as I took the ribbon from her and handed her the bouquet. She put a hand on my shoulder.

"She'd be proud." She whispered. I looked at her in alarm, but she just smiled and walked away. Was she not here because she was dead or because of something else? Please let it be anything else.

I looked over at Kai's matriarch. The woman looked nothing like him. I doubted she was his mother. Maybe an aunt. U-jin stood at the end of his ribbon. I wondered if he had any other male family members or if he had requested U-jin. I gathered the ribbon in my hands and took it one step at a time.

I felt a thousand eyes on me and knew one misstep would never be forgotten. My hands didn't shake. At least there was that. I walked up the steps to my father and handed him the handful of ribbon. He took and put his arm around me in an embrace.

"Don't mess this up." He let go of me and I nodded. I walked up towards the priestess. Kai nodded to U-jin then also started the same ascent as I did. Our patriarchs followed us up. I turned to face Kai. I held up my right hand, the one closest to the crowd watching us. Kai raised his left hand and knitted his fingers in mine. His eyes were cautious as if I might try to run away any moment.

The priestess started speaking in a loud volume and my father and U-jin started the intricate design of ribbon tying. My arm and Kai's made a pyramid shape that allowed for the twisting designs to look even more unique. When they ran out of ribbon they tied the end together and the bottom. Then they descended the stairs.

"Kai," The priestess called to him. "Do you promise to serve and honour this woman as her husband and king?"

"I do." Kai met my eyes and I couldn't see the lie in them. I couldn't tell if he was being earnest or not. It didn't matter. I knew what he was like.

"Aera," I looked at the priestess. "Do you promise to serve and honour this man as his queen and wife?"

"I do." The words tumbled from my mouth and chained me to him. I was his now. HIs to love or to kill. Whatever fit his whim.

"Then seal your bows with a kiss." She stepped back. I looked up at him. He stepped towards me and the ribbons connecting our arms were crushed together. He put a hand on my waist and in return I laid my hand on his shoulder. He lowered his lips to mine. I closed my eyes and expected him to pull away as fast he could.

His lips lingered for a moment.

It felt like we shared a secret.

I knew it was a lie.

We moved in a semicircle, maintaining eye contact, so that our ribbon-tied arms were in the middle of us and we could begin our descent down the middle of the room. I kept my gaze straight ahead. I focused on anything but him.

We walked slowly through the room and I felt a rising sense of dread. These people would probably never see me again and I would probably never see them again. Our head of households stood at the doors and held them open for us. We walked through the door and as soon as my train passed through the door, they closed it behind us. I let out a small breath of relief.

At least I did one thing right.

Sujin was waiting for us and beckoned for us to follow her into a nearby room. It was filled with mirrors. I didn't say anything as we walked. Neither did Kai. It seemed to be the only way we could prevent an eventual explosion. Sujin worked carefully to untie and unravel the ribbons from around our arms. She rolled them up carefully and I wondered what she would do with them.

"You have to wait here until I come back." She looked at me hesitantly then her gaze shifted to Kai. "Don't kill each other until after the banquet."

Kai glared at her but she only returned it. She smiled at me then left the room. I folded my arms and sat down in one of the wooden chairs. Kai followed suit. We occasionally met eyes but still neither one of us spoke. I certainly didn't have anything to say.

"U-jin couldn't find anything out," Kai blurted. I looked over at him, then realised what he was talking about.

"Who did he ask?" I leaned forward.

"The staff. The maids that travelled from Lotus with them." That would be a good place to check. The staff loved to gossip. Which is why extreme measures would have been taken to make sure they didn't talk. At least not to U-jin. I wondered if my old lady's maid, Hei-ran, came. She would tell me. My father's concubine might too. She already slipped up once.

"I don't understand." I buried my face in my hands. "I'm doing everything he wants. Why is he doing this?"

"Is your father a cruel man?" Kai asked. He was one to speak. He was constantly threatening me.

"No more cruel than any other king." I glared at him. His eyes hardened and folded his arm. Sujin came back with a team of maids and a pile of clothes in red, black, and gold, the colours of the Land of the Night Sky. The maids helped me stand up and took me from the bench.

The dress belt was the ribbon I had just been married in. The dress itself was black with gold thorns sneaking in many different places. It was smaller than my wedding dress, a simpler skirt. I was allowed to wear flats, which I was grateful for. I looked over at Kai. His suit was black with the red ribbon tracing every seam of his suit. It was black with gold stitchings.

Time for another performance.

My murderer and I still had a long day ahead of us.

I meant husband not murderer. Easy mistake to make.