2.06

Dimitri

It doesn't take Alexei very long to convince Azura to come back. She had told him that she had been keeping an eye on the situation between me and Arashi; she knew that she would be needed again and was ready to help.

She arrives a few short hours after she had been sent for, something about the perks of having old friends in high places. I suppose it has something to do with magic, though it isn't really my business so I don't bother to ask; I'm much more concerned with other matters to be quite honest.

Azura hasn't changed very much since the last time I had seen her; not that it was any surprise.

Witches and Warlocks are suspended in time, mortal but never showing any sign of aging. Such a feat meant that they tended to live almost 10 times the lifespan of a human, that is until they were hunted to near extinction.

The only noticeable change that I can find is her hair, that was once dark and braided, is now platinum blonde and has been dip-dyed an electric purple. I guess she had near eternity to do whatever the hell she wanted with herself.

She wanders into the office in front of Alexei, the beta in question nodding his dismissal before shutting the door. She gives the room a few cursory glances, as if to take in the changes herself; I'm not proud that a lot of things have become more disorderly since Arashi left, including my office.

She looks towards me, a brow arches in interest, seemingly amused by the sight before her. No doubt she is marvelling at the fact that the 'big bad alpha' has been brought to his knees by his vanishing mate.

"You wolves are interesting creatures. Such strength and power, but your strengths are also your weaknesses." She muses as she plops herself on the leather sofa. The same sofa she had used when she had 'unlocked' Arashi's mind all those months ago.

I clear my throat, resisting the urge to growl. Although she is right, I don't appreciate her calling me weak, especially when it comes to Arashi. "I need your help."

"Help isn't free, you know this." She stares at me with dark eyes, my heart heavy as the price that I have already paid to help Arashi the last time, coming back to me. "Are you willing to give up more than you already have?"

My silence hangs heavily in the air- what more can I give up? Can I give more than I already have? My mind drifts back to the first time Azura had come to the pack in order to help Arashi.

Arashi had been so full of fire and determination, I knew that she was beyond frustrated even if she wouldn't say. Honestly it was beyond sexy, not that I could say such a thing in front of my pack members- ranked or not.

"Your mate is a complicated case, it will cost you dearly." She had said. It wasn't malicious or greedy, not like most witches or warlocks were stereotypically presented.

"I'll pay you anything you want. Just give her her memories back." I grunted without hesitation, regardless of the way I acted, I only wanted what was best for my mate.

I could tell she was in a lot of pain, and turmoil- she had so many barriers up. I wanted her to be able to trust me, to depend on me if there was anything she needed or wanted. I never wanted it to be said that I couldn't care for or provide for my mate. My father had taught me better than that and I intended to act as such.

"You misunderstand." Azura spoke softly, quietly. There was a sad, almost deadly quality to her words. I could tell that whatever she wanted to say, it weighed heavily upon her and I probably would not like it. "Magic is like energy, it isn't created out of nothing, it's an exchange. To receive one thing, is to give up another. To give her the past, you must give up your future. If I do this, you and your mate will never have pups."