1.17

I passed out.

In the memory or real life, I can't remember but the two felt almost interchangeable whilst it happened. It was so real, almost like I was living the moment, not remembering it.

My eyes flutter open, the room around me is still dark but even in the dark I know that it's Dimitri's. His scent is around me, filling the whole space with him. Regardless of how I feel at the knowledge, I'm far too weak to get up, and my mind is still trying to make sense of what happened last night.

Perhaps it's been lost for so long that reliving my memories is the only way for me to remember it, I hardly know. What I do know, is that it had taken so much out of me to be there. I feel absolutely rotten, like I haven't slept all night not to mention the overall sickly feeling encompassing me.

My head feels heavy, like it has been stuffed with cotton; my throat dry and scratchy; my entire body feels sickly and uncomfortably warm, an added pressure on my waist weighing me down in some way. Dimitri's is holding me to him. That's probably the cause of both my overheating and the weight on me considering his arm is slung over my body drawing me closer to his naked chest.

My first instinct is to try to free myself from his grip, but he simply pulls me in tighter, gently caressing the skin on my arms. It sets off those uncontrollable fireworks under my skin, shocking my nerve endings into submission; awakening a soothing, pleasurable feeling within.

It's nice; it feels...right. For the first time I don't feel guilty for being calmed by his touch, neither do I feel repulsed by my reaction to him.

"Dimitri?" I whisper, my voice sounding both croaky and weak. I hate it. Clearing my throat, I try again, louder this time: "Dimitri."

He immediately wakes at the sound of my voice, his eyes frantically travelling over my frame to check if I'm alright. His eyes are tired, and he seems a little bit more feral than usual. Once he realises I'm not in any imminent danger and that I'm seemingly fine, he calms down a bit.

"It's okay, I've got you. I've got you, mate." He speaks softly, leaving a tender, lingering kiss on the back of my neck. I sneak a peep over my shoulder at him, surprised by such an action from the Alpha.

His words calm me a little, but I still feel the urgency to get last night's memories off of my mind. All the things I saw last night are stuck in my mind- haunting me. All I can think about is unrelenting heat and the roaring flames. Of blood, screams and raw destruction.

His eyes open, trained solely on me. His reaction is so fast, it's almost like the action is an unconscious one, designed to comfort me- his mate. He looks completely at peace once I settle in his arms; everything he needs, right here in his arms. Soulmates are supposed to complete you in some way; two perfect halves coming together to make a whole.

Aleksandr used to teach us that it's a weakness but lying in Dimitri's arms doesn't make me feel weak at all. It makes me feel safe. It's like finding land after a huge storm at sea; a relieving and empowering sort of comfort. How can such a feeling be bad? Maybe it's okay to relax in his arms...

I try to speak but the words won't come, lips trembling. It's so frustrating; wanting to speak but not being able to find the words. Sensing my distress, Dimitri turns me around to face him and held me; large, warm arms wrapping around me in a protective cocoon. Something builds inside me, like a well overflowing that won't stop leaking. Before I know it, I'm sobbing into his chest. As much as I'm ashamed and want to stop it, I can't.

"I've got you, mate. I won't let you go, I promise." Dimitri whispers sweet nothings into her hair-anything to calm her down.

Even when my sobs slow to hiccups Dimitri continues to hold me, fingers gently caressing my skin. My eyes burn with tiredness, aching limbs almost begging me to fall asleep- it's now coming around to half 6 in the morning, time to wake up not go to sleep.