Part 5: A Ferret vs. The Hunter

"He bought your dress?!" Ginny yells from the kitchen of her small flat.

It had been years, much like Hermione, since she's thought of Draco Malfoy.

How everything went their last year, Ginny would have typically been concerned for Hermione seeing him again. It's not that she didn't like Draco that year. She did, a lot, but he made her nervous when it came to her friend. He played with Hermione's heart without deliberately playing with Hermione's heart. She was sort of relieved when he stopped showing up to sit at their table and appreciated his smiles being kept at a distance.

It made her life easier than having to pick up the pieces of Hermione and put them back together after something he'd done.

"I feel horrid. I mean I'm happy because it was the most beautiful dress I've ever worn, but that was beyond expensive and I don't know what to do."

"Well, you can always toss him some business. We needed a venue for the bachelorette party. I'm sure Luna and I can rent it from him and pay him well what is deserved."

"Yeah...I just....what is Gavin going to say- because he is going to ask- especially when he notices that there isn't £1000 missing from our joint account."

"Maybe he'll think you didn't find one."

"For a whole three weeks before I'm not be married."

"Well you waited this long. Procrastinator." She comes out with a pan of fish and chips and two plates. Sitting on the floor, legs tucked under the coffee table, they plate some food and both just stare at each other. "So...how is he?"

"Gavin? He's..."

"Not Gavin. Draco. You haven't seen him in five years. How is the little ferret?"

"Well his pub seems to be doing good. He says he loves what he's doing."

"And?"

"And I think he's all alone. No girlfriend. He doesn't communicate with his arsehole parents, and well...you know about Blaise."

"Yeah. Poor guy."

"But what I find really strange is he doesn't come to Diagon Alley or read the Prophet. He still uses his wand. Because it was on him the other day, but he just seems different."

"Different in a good way or different as if he's going to be the next Voldemort?" Biting into her chicken, she holds her hand in front of her mouth as she chews and when she swallows it, she answers.

"A good way. More cheerful and life enriched it seems."

"Well you know what they say- how is seems and how it is isn't always the same thing. The iceberg is always bigger under the water."

"I invited him to the wedding."

"You what?" She nearly drops her glass of wine and she is hoping she didn't hear what she just heard.

"I invited him to the wedding. I miss having him as a friend and you know, I thought it would be the nice thing to do." Ginny begins shaking her head no and sets her glass down- running her hands through her shoulder length hair

"No...no...why would you think he wants to go to your wedding? Why would you want him there? It's kind of like a big fuck you if you think about it."

"How, it's just a wedding."

"But it's your wedding."

"What's wrong with that."

"For the brightest witch of your age, you sure aren't picking up on the obvious." Sitting up straight, she looks into Hermione's eyes and spells it out for her. "Draco was in love with you. Inviting him is like a big slap in the face. Or had you forgotten how he felt...how you felt."