Part 24: Let's Walk

Above them in the Cathedral, Hermione hears the organist begin plying and the chattering of her friends and family echoes down through the halls and into the rectory.
Looking in the mirror before leaving, she looks absolutely gorgeous for the first time in her life- she thinks.

Closing her eyes, she imagines what it would be like.

"You look beautiful. Stunning." He would say and wrap his arms around her waist from behind and press his lips to her neck. "I've never seen anyone as gorgeous as you are in this dress."

"Stop...it's just a dress."

"Yes, but it's our dress. I knew when I saw it- it was the one for you. I imagined how stunning you would be- and I must say- I'm not disappointed in the slightest."

"You would say that about anyone in this dress. Because it is a beautiful dress."

"Maybe, but you make every article of clothing look prettier than it already is. Nothing compares to you."

"Hey, Day Dreamer- are you ready?" Hermione opens her eyes as her father stands in the doorway with her bouquet.

"Daddy, you look handsome." Walking over to him- heels clicking on the floor, she hugs him tightly and kisses his cheek.

"This old thing? It's been ages since I wore it. Pretty sure there's still dust in the pockets."

"Haha, possibly." She chuckles and notices her father beaming at her as they ascend the stairs slowly.

"You look absolutely gorgeous, Cupcake. Just like your mother did when she was your age."

"Thank you." When they get to the outside of the closed doors, they stop and he looks at her. She knows he doesn't like Gavin- despite his best efforts to fake it.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" She inwardly smiles and bites her cheek.

"I need to do this."

"Well, you don't need too. Engagements are meant to be broken. Marriage...huh...it's different than. You think. It's harder and..."

"Daddy, I need to go in there and stand before Gavin and bare my soul. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I promise- nothing's going to change. I'll still be your little girl." She says and he tears up a bit.

"Well...if you're so certain you need to do this. Who am I to crush your dreams?" She kisses his cheek and wraps her right arm around his left and the doors open. Reporters from the Daily Prophet take photos and her friends, family, and Gavin's all stand as the organ plays the wedding March. She and Paul slowly walk to the alter, where Gavin stands beaming at her, with the priest beside him. She finds her bridesmaids looking beautiful and her mother beginning to cry already. The walk seems to take forever- though they've rehearsed it before when they had their rehearsal dinner last week. Gavin has a few misty tears in his eyes, and Hermione just keeps that sweet elegant smile on her face.

The organ stops and so do the bride and her father.

"Welcome, we are here to celebrate the Union of Hermione Jean Granger and Gavin Anthony Hunt. Who gives this bride away?" The priest asks and Paul chokes slightly.

"Her father and mother Paul and Lydia Granger." He says and leaves Hermione to walk up to Gavin. Stepping up the four steps, she smiles and hands her flowers to Ginny. Gavin takes her hands and squeezes them gently.

"You look beautiful, Babe." He quietly says and she smiles at him.

"Thank you. You look good yourself." Inside her fire blazes, especially when he looks over her shoulder at who she can only assume is Sarah.