Chapter 15: Fuck the government

Louis's POV

Harry wouldn't talk to me, no one would. Everyone believed me with the exception of Harry, but Gemma still told me to stay away. We both spent three days in our separate rooms. Roman told me that Harry only left for food and would only talk to Niall and Gemma.

I was heartbroken. He refused to interact with me at all, not even responding to my text messages. I tried to explain, I really did, I just couldn't persuade him against what his head was telling him.

I stopped eating three days ago. Mother thinks I've relapsed. Maybe she's right. I was nothing without Harry, I didn't see the point in convincing myself otherwise. And then this morning things changed. Mother had been sympathetic towards me, giving me space but also a shoulder to cry on. Today, she changed her tune.

"Up!" It was barely nine in the morning and she was opening my curtains, prodding me awake. "Get up!" I genuinely thought something was wrong. Was it Harry? What happened? "Louis!"

"Yes, yes, alright I'm up! Where's the fire?"

She did laugh at my joke which made me smile slightly. At least I could still make someone laugh. Harry's laugh was the best though, especially when he found humour in his own jokes, trying to make me giggle. God, I missed his smile and his dimples and the way he would throw his head back slightly, or hold his tummy, or cover his mouth with his hand when he made cute little squeaking noises.

"Louis, did you hear me?"

I turned my attention back to my mother who was handing me a suit. "Why am I wearing a suit?"

She sighed. "So, you weren't listening. God, I would have thought you would be a little more excited." I raised my eyebrows questioningly. "Today's the day," she smiled brightly. This was it.

I turned up to the broadcasting room of the palace, shaking each person's hand as I thanked them for their time. On the desk sat two pages of A4 paper, words flowing across their lines. I took a deep breath, sitting in the chair as Mother and Father took their places either side of me.

I could feel a strong and supportive hand on my left shoulder, a gentle and relaxing one on my right. Just before the director began speaking, Father placed a photo frame on the desk. It was of me and Harry riding Lightning at sunset, me sat behind him as he leant into my touch.

"This is it. This is for him. I'm proud of you son."

I was informed that the cameras were live in 3, 2, 1.

Good morning to the people of the United Kingdom, and to all of those who have joined us from around the world. I would like to thank each and every one of you for assembling with me here today. I, your future King, am here to share some very important and personal news.

My name is Louis William Tomlinson, and I am gay. That may come as a surprise to quite a few of you, especially after the recent publicity stunt organised by the government. Miss Eleanor Calder is a very lovely and talented young lady who I am sure is heading for marvellous things in life, just not with me by her side.

I am not here to express to you the aspects of my current relationship, details of which will be released when myself and my boyfriend both feel ready. However, I do not want to hide who I am any longer.

I hope that this information I have shared with you today can help at least one other person in the world to know that it's alright. You don't have to hide who you are in the fear that other people will not accept you. I can assure you; honesty is always the way to live your life if you hope to become the best person you can possibly be.