Chapter 2: Harry Styles

Harry's POV

Harry; 'home'. I guess at one point it was more than just my name. Times change, shit happens, I just need to learn to adjust. Mum felt awful, as if it was her fault. It wasn't, of course, but she wasn't going to listen to myself or Gemma, my sister. Our dad had been sick, uncurable, and we weren't prepared for him to go.

We lived a simple life, in a small but cosy home in the middle of London. Our family was poor, and all of our money went towards dad's treatments once he got sick. A few weeks after he died, the property was repossessed, and we were thrown out onto the streets.

As the man of the house at just seventeen, I felt the need to protect my mum and sister. I tried to get a job and after weeks of begging various shop owners, I met a retired man who ran a small bakery at the end of the street.

I had always loved cooking and baking, often making meals for the family when mum was tending to dad. James, the owner, took me in right away once I explained our situation. He offered for us to stay in the shop overnight, but I never accepted the offer. As a family we were in agreement that we wouldn't bother other people and become a burden.

I lived a life that I loved before dad got sick. I found my education quite easy as I was naturally intelligent, but I was also gifted in sport. I attended a private school for lower sixth on a scholarship. I was the star captain of the swimming team, competing in the national finals and winning gold three days before dad was diagnosed with cancer.

I was also an incredibly gifted dancer. I auditioned for the Royal Ballet School to start upper sixth once summer was over. I found out a week before dad passed that I had been accepted, but once we were informed of the tuition fees, cost of clothing and accommodation, we had to politely decline. It was my dream, but my family was more important.

The streets were rough. People were out here with us, and most people who passed by left us alone. However, I did witness a couple of men complete a grab and go of the lady's bag who sits opposite us once, taking everything that she had. I didn't sleep for three nights straight after that.

Gemma is three years older than me and tried to get a job too. She has completed her education, wanting to work with children. However, whilst on the streets, the schools in the area didn't want to influence their students negatively with "someone like her". I felt awful. Gemma stayed with mum whilst I went to the bakery each day.

Mum was depressed, understandably. Dad was her life and she struggled even when he was still here. Seeing the one you love in pain constantly takes the life out of you. You blame yourself, wonder what else you could've done. Not that there was anything.

I had been working at the bakery for around three months when James told me we would be moving. At first, I was excited, but then he explained that we would be preparing and feeding each and every meal and snack for the royal family at Buckingham Palace.

I didn't know how to react. James had told me about the royals, the way that he had worked for them before and they were a lovely family. I wasn't so sure. The media was filled with articles regarding their eldest son, the heir to our throne. He was two years older than me, and apparently a spoilt brat.

James said that he was employed whilst the Prince was young, leaving a few months after his eleventh birthday. He never saw anything other than a loving family but didn't actually interact with them much. I relaxed when he explained that staff and royals were kept separately, until he told me that things had changed. After the scandal, it was compulsory for all staff to remain in the palace at all times, to stop them talking to outside persons.

The scandal he referred to was one of the first times I took interest in the royal family, in particular, Prince Louis himself. It involved a statement from one of the staff members, a butler, who couldn't sleep whilst the Prince was arguing violently with his parents.

I was relatively happy to serve the household as long as I didn't have to see him. Apparently, we had to live there and there was no way I was going to risk meeting him. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared of him.

Once James told me the pay, I couldn't decline. Having the knowledge that it could provide food or clothes for my family meant that I had to put my fears behind me. I did, however, get him to create an exception for my living arrangements. I wasn't leaving them alone on the streets.

I helped James move in with his bags this morning and I cooked the first breakfast for the family. The other staff welcomed us with open arms, quickly explained the rules and let James and I explore the kitchen.

James did most of the actual cooking with me helping with the preparation. We got good complements from them after our first day, so I was happy with that. Once dinner had been served, I quickly helped to clear away before leaving the premises to go back to my family.

It was important that I wasn't seen as I left. It was part of the rules that we weren't to come into contact with the family unless we were privately hired. As a cook, I was not. I knew my place and respected the measures they had enforced so I followed instructions carefully.

This continued for a few weeks until James suddenly dropped me in it on our fourteenth day in service.

"Harry, I won't be in tomorrow." I stared at him, confused, before he continued. "I was asked to be reinstated for two weeks. Since they are up, you will be taking over from now on."

I nodded hesitantly as I took in the information. I knew I could do it, but I would have to be very quick once the evening meal had been sent out. Cleaning up on my own was going to take twice as long, meaning that it was going to be harder to leave unnoticed. I would try my best, thought. I always did.

So both main characters have now been introduced. Let me know what you think about them! All the love x