Chapter 23: By my side

(Time jump of a year and a bit. Harry is now two months away from being 20 and Louis is a few weeks away from turning 22.)

Harry's POV

We spent a year planning the wedding. We decided on a winter wonderland theme for the start of December so that our honeymoon would be during the first month of the summer in Australia. The Gold Coast has always been somewhere me and Louis wanted to visit, so for the first time we were going together.

The girls were extremely excited, Lottie and Felicity mainly. Gemma kept them under control and did most of our organising as me and Louis were too busy, and the twins were too young to really understand. Our mums were both overjoyed that we were making if official. I think they had been secretly planning our wedding from when we first started dating just over two years ago because they seemed to have a lot of similar ideas before we even put our own requests forward.

Gemma told me that we were going to have to wait and see the final thing and that they all wanted to surprise us. All we knew was that we were both in white suits and there was going to be fake snow. To be honest, we only knew about the snow because Lottie told Daisy and she got a bit too excited.

The morning of the day we woke up separately. Everyone had been setting up the entire day previous, so I knew it must be big, and my private secretary, Mitch, kept me company. He was the one that woke me up in the morning and helped me calm my nerves. My stylist, Lou, spent hours doing my hair and make-up before helping me into my suit. Mitch rehearsed my vows with me and before I knew it, mum came to get me from my room and accompanied me in the car.

When I arrived at St George's chapel, Louis was already waiting at the front of the alter. The guest were all seated and Gemma was waiting outside the door with Louis's sisters as my bridesmaids.

"The bride has arrived!" Gemma joked as I got out the car. I laughed gently and flicked her arm.

"I'm the other groom, you idiot."

"What does that make us, then? Groomsmaids?"

I laughed again, slowly forgetting about how nervous I was. "I suppose so." I took mum's arm as the doors opened, and I looked down to see the isle covered in fake snow. It was completely untouched, the girls being the first to walk down it, before I followed with tears in my eyes.

Everything was a pearl white, ribbons tied in bows on the ends of the pews. The only colour in the room was of a banner hanging above the alter, a large rectangular piece of paper that I instantly recognised. My two handprints, Louis's on top, were hanging above his head as the memories of the castle came flooding back.

By the time I got to the front and saw Louis properly, he returned my gaze, gently wiping a tear from his cheek. "Like my little touch?" He gestured to the banner and I flashed my dimples at him whilst nodding and trying not to cry even more. I kissed mum's cheek before she gave my hand to Louis and sat down in the front row.

Hand in hand, we turned to face the front and the ceremony began. Once our vows were said and Phoebe shyly presented us with our rings, Louis didn't place mine on my finger. Instead, he placed them both in my hand and grinned knowingly.

"Look at them, love," he whispered. I held the rings, turning them in between my fingers and noticed that they were identical. I couldn't see anything else so looked back up deflated. "On the inside," he whispered again. I took another look and burst into tears. Even through my glazed vision, I could read the golden engraved words circling the silver.

Home isn't always a place.

I slipped his onto his finger and he returned the gesture, allowing it to sit comfortably next to father's engagement ring. He pulled me into a powerful kiss as our guests clapped and smiled before he pulled away and rested our foreheads together.