30.

this chapter has been edited and updated. enjoy!xx

The days flew by in a whirlwind of spending my nights with Harry, long days at work, and a couple extra sessions with Hayley and the girls until all of a sudden I was at home on Christmas Eve, a party hosted by my parents in full swing. In the midst of all the hustle and bustle of that last week and a half I was in LA, I'd run into people waiting outside my apartment only a handful of times. Sometimes Harry was with me, sometimes he wasn't, but each time was the same: walk out of my building like they weren't there. I didn't freak out like I did the first time now that I knew that they would be there, but still, it was a little bizarre to see them. On occasion, I gave a cautious wave or smile, but most times I just kept my head down and minded my business. Once I got back to my parents' house, though, there were no cameras.

As per usual, Christmas eve was a big affair at my childhood home. Tamales had been made and eaten for dinner, a couple presents were opened under our tree, and then the little kids were herded up to bed to wait for Santa Claus while the rest of us kept the party going downstairs.

Not only were all ten members of my family here tonight, but my aunt and uncle, my cousins, and countless others. Music played from a speaker, ranging from 80s pop, to 90s r&b, to Salsa music, and Christmas music. I could feel the bass pumping from the backyard as I weaved my way through my parents' house. Unlike my own apartment, my dad had decked out the house in colorful light bulbs, little Christmas figurines that sat on counters and tabletops, homemade projects from elementary school, and of course, a nativity scene set up on a little table, but that was almost always set up by my mom.

Walking the halls of my house on Christmas Eve always brought a certain level of nostalgia. I could picture so clearly past Christmas Eves when I was the one going up to bed early, or when I was in high school and would bring Brendan over. This year, I was alone. Not alone, alone, but still. Harry was on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean with his own family, performing and interviewing and performing some more like mad all over London. In the days leading up to tonight, I'd barely spoken to him. We'd sent texts back and forth a bunch, but actually speaking over the phone or through a FaceTime call were a rarity. I missed him like crazy, but being home with my family and the familiar buzz of a good party seemed to dull the ache that had taken up residence in my heart the night Harry left for the airport. I could only hope that all the excitement surrounding his new album and being with his family helped curb his own pain.

Stepping outside into my backyard, I watched as friends and members of my family danced on the patio, not at all bothered by the night's chill. I smiled, taking a sip of my drink, swaying slightly as an old Colombian crooned through the air, casting a spell over everyone on the dance floor and making them move to the beat of a horn and drums.

The night carried on until early morning in a flurry of dancing, drinks, and more dancing. I went to bed around one in the morning, knowing that I should at least get a couple hours of sleep before Marissa and Sebastian busted down my door and dragged me down the stairs to open presents. Luckily for me, my older sister Sarah had found both a job and a small apartment nearby, so I got to sleep in my own room instead of on the couch, like I normally did when she was in town. Changing out of my festive red sweater and my jeans, I began the process of taking my makeup off, brushing my teeth, and so on.

I'd just nestled under my covers when my phone started ringing, alerting me that I had a FaceTime call. Despite my droopy eyes and overall sleepy disposition, I got out of bed, turned the lights on, and took the call. My dog Granger, who had followed me up to my room, popped her head up when the lights turned back on, and I motioned for her to join me on the bed.

"Happy Christmas!" Harry shouts the minute the call connects. I was tired from a night of dancing and drinking, but seeing Harry's face filled me with a joyful energy.