11.

this chapter has been edited and updated. enjoy!xx

I anxiously waited for Harry at a café table the following afternoon.

Last night had gone fairly well, I would say. After Harry and I had agreed to meet and talk about everything the next day, things felt smoothed out between us. At least a little bit. There had also been some subtle flirting between the two of us afterwards. Like there was this unspoken understanding that while we had things we needed to talk about, we also both knew what we wanted from each other.

Now though, as I sat by myself at a small café that was equidistant between Harry and I- I had offered to drive over to where Harry was in Malibu, seeing as I didn't work today, but he insisted on meeting me halfway- nerves slowly flooded my system. My foot started tapping erratically to the Bob Marley song playing in the café, I wrung my wrists anxiously, and I began alternating tearing a napkin and the paper casing of a straw from the drink I'd ordered into shreds.

I kept Brendan at my apartment for as long as I could, but I finally had to let him leave, and then I was left to wait until it was time to meet Harry. Unable to sit around my apartment anymore, I drove over early, picking out a table that wasn't close to the entrance or any windows. I didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention while having this conversation. I had tried going on my phone as a distraction when I got there, but even that couldn't keep my attention for more than a few seconds. I don't know why I was so nervous. By the looks of last night, things were most likely going to go well. But still, I couldn't help the nervous flutter of my stomach or my anxious tearing of the poor napkin that had fallen victim to my hands.

"Excuse me? Luz? Luz Price?"

I looked up, startled. The voice was definitely not Harry's, and the person who spoke was decidedly not Harry either. It was a girl, or a young woman, I suppose. Perhaps somewhere between the twins and me in age. She was pretty, with a shade of blonde hair that can only come from spending hours in the sun, and big brown eyes. Pretty or not, though, I didn't know this person, and I didn't know why she was at my table. I gave her my most polite smile, trying to push my nerves down for her and my sake.

"Hi... Do- do I know you?" I ask, trying not to sound rude. The girl just laughed to herself, like she just realized she was talking to a stranger.

"Oh, no, sorry. Well, maybe? You were one of the leaders at a soccer camp my team and I went to once? You probably don't remember, but you helped me out during a scrimmage once. And my whole team watched you at the Olympics." The girl pauses, taking a deep breath after saying all that. "I just, I saw you while I was with my friends, and wanted to say hi. I'm sorry if I'm bothering you. I'm Hayley, by the way."

I was surprised by this whole interaction. Sure, I played for the United States at the Olympics, but I wasn't on the National Team for very long. The only time people seemed to recognize me was when I was volunteering at a camp for soccer. I've also been approached by young girls asking if I was "Niall Horan's friend," but that was different. I smile at her, at Hayley, again, but this time I'm more relaxed.

"Not a bother at all, Hayley. It's nice to meet you. Again, I mean." We stared at each other for a few awkward seconds, but it was better than the nerves that were eating me up before she came up to my table. Then I notice her tshirt. "Do you go to Santa Clara?"

"Hopefully," Hayley says. "I'm going to be a senior this year, and I toured the school this summer. I'm hoping to play there. All my favorite professional players have." So she was younger than the twins, I thought. I was close. But then I focus on the rest of what she said.

"That's awesome! Santa Clara's a great school. I loved my time there," I say, and I mean it. I did like the school, even if it was cut a little short. We continue to talk a little more about school, and I start to feel bad that Hayley's been standing this whole time.