Fifteen

NOAH

I couldn't believe the chaotic scene unfolding before my eyes. If you thought the government prodigy project's abuse was terrible, witnessing my brother, Bryce, making out with Mark on our uncle's couch ranked a close second. Adding insult to injury, my cousin Derek was left to babysit, further diminishing my sanity. I couldn't help but think that poor Derek was probably still a virgin.

Uncle Matt and Sam had returned for a family meeting, while James locked himself in his bedroom upstairs, and Grace occupied herself in their father's old room. The dimmed hallway lights illuminated as a car pulled into the driveway, and moments later, Uncle Matt and our father walked through the doorway.

"Family meeting," our father called, his and Uncle Matt's eyes immediately fixating on James and Mark kissing on the couch. Oops.

"You have a lot of nerve coming into my house after the shit show you pulled a few weeks ago," Uncle Matt roared at Mark, entering the living room with Sam. He was not wrong; the only thing stopping him from physically throwing Mark across the room was that Mark was a minor. I would have done the same if it weren't for my brother. Being a teenager was frustrating.

Mark raised his hands defensively. "I promise this isn't a setup, Mr. Knight," he said, visibly uncomfortable beside Bryce. Bryce clung to Mark, seeking comfort while trying to calm his nerves.

"It better not be because we outnumber you a lot," Matthew said. Derek smirked under a scowl, fully aware that his father meant business.

James descended the staircase, followed by Grace, giggling about something likely amusing only to herself. His eyes locked onto Mark, shooting daggers to display their mutual hatred. A tense silence filled the room before our father cleared his throat.

"So, Max is planning something," he said anxiously, fiddling with his jeans pockets.

"No way. I didn't know," I sarcastically growled, earning frustrated glares from everyone. Grace snapped at me for being rude to our dad, but our father reassured her before she snuggled into his arms. Grace shot me a smug wink and an arrogant grin, revealing an immature troublemaker side.

James glared at Mark and asked, "If you want to help so badly, what do you know?"

Mark instinctively raised his arms again. "I honestly know only a little about the plan. I know they're planning revenge and something significantly worse with the superhuman project," he replied, his eyes briefly landing on James, who leaned against the wall with his hoodie covering his head. Bryce pulled Mark's arms down, and seconds later, Mark found comfort snuggling into his boyfriend's shoulder.

"I would like to see Mark kneeling, begging for bloody forgiveness," I interjected, only to be scolded by Uncle Matt and met with frustrated glares. It seemed everyone was too gullible. What if this was another one of Max's traps?

"Okay, but if you hurt my family, especially my brother, you're dead, mate," I snarled. Mark chuckled, looking at Bryce before fixing his gaze on me, cleaning his teeth with an arrogant smirk.

"Where have I heard that before?" Mark taunted.

"Enough, Mark, or I'll call your father and end this," Matthew warned him.

"Okay, okay," Mark quickly surrendered.

"And we're just going to pretend that Mark didn't suddenly swap sides?" James muttered.

"My point exactly," I said, grateful that someone else understood.

"No," Derek interjected. "We don't know what side you're on right now, Mark, but who knows what Max is planning if it's true and you don't know? We could use him right now," Derek stated, leaning back against the couch.