Nineteen

MARK

I used to be a privileged kid who always got what I wanted. My father's position as the chief of police in Arizona made me feel untouchable. But now, living with James Knight, I thought I had found what I truly wanted. Being away from Maximus and having the support of a caring family made me realize that I didn't have to report back to Max, but I did it to protect Bryce, my boyfriend, and his family. I used to despise them, but now I understand they weren't the enemy.

I had mistaken James as my worst enemy, but deep down, I was using bullying to mask my true feelings for him. Spending the night rooming with him and Noah made me see why they resented me, and they turned out not to be as bad as I thought. James even gave up his mattress for me and took the floor, showing his true heroism.

In the morning, James surprised me by defending me from Noah, but I never got the chance to thank him. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because he still hated me.

"Are you ready to go, kiddo?" Matthew asked me in surprise. I turned away from the mirror and looked at him, unsure how to react. He wore his uniform proudly. He was not only a great cop but also a fantastic father.

"Yeah," I replied.

"Good. Your father would be proud of how much you've stepped up this past week." It felt strange to hear him talk about my father as if they were close friends, but I appreciated his kindness toward me.

"Thanks," I said. The room fell silent, and I sucked in a breath. Matthew walked away, and James stared at me from outside the door. Understanding the consequences of my actions and the pain I had caused James, I felt genuinely sorry for him, even though this was just the beginning.

James, Noah, Bryce, and I gathered at the lunch table. My cousin Mia, who still had a crush on James, watched him from a few tables away, chewing on a crisp Granny Smith apple. Max was there too, absorbed in a detention slip on the table. But I could sense something brewing.

"I wish Max would listen to us. He's in deeper trouble than he realizes, and if that jerk thinks he can get away with..."

"Noah," James scolded him, his eyes fixed on Sebastian sitting across the room. Sebastian grunted, locking eyes with me as he slammed his soda can on the table.

"What are you staring at, freak?" Sebastian yelled from across the room. All eyes suddenly turned towards our table, and Max smirked, cracking his knuckles. The room fell silent as Sebastian slammed his hands on the table. "I said, what are you looking at, freak?"

"Leave him alone, Sebastian," Bryce stood up suddenly, his fists clenched.

"Shut up, Bryce," Sebastian snapped.

"Knock it off, Sebastian!" Finally, a teacher growled from the corner of the room. He stood with his head held high, looking straight at me. His expression was blank, and he mimicked an American accent.

"Who are you?" Sebastian growled at Mr. Kinley, his blue-gray eyes darting toward him. Noah, James, Bryce, and I watched Sebastian, a sense of unease settling in our stomachs. Max was watching, too. I was sure he had no idea Alexander would do this, but he stood in the cafeteria.

"I'm Mr. Gray."

"What? Are you a teacher or something?"

"I'm taking over for Mr. Kelly."

"The science teacher?" Sebastian asked. Mr. Kinley, or Mr. Gray, rolled his eyes, plopping down at the table next to Sebastian, sighing.

"I don't have to explain myself to you, Mr. Marian," Sebastian grunted, muttering something incoherent to his friends.

"Anything you want to say to your friends, you can tell me," Gray said. Sebastian huffed, blowing air from his lips with a cocky smirk.

"However, I wouldn't test it if I were you," he warned. "I'll see you at two-thirty for detention, Mr. Marian." The cafeteria fell silent before bursting back into chatter.

Noah looked at James, and then both turned to me, baffled and fearful. "What the hell," Noah grumbled. This was not going to end well.

MAX

"So, uh, Max, right?" Sebastian whispered, leaning in cautiously during detention. He gulped, seeing me tense up and crack my knuckles. Alexander observed me, his blue gaze leaving me as I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. "The guys and I, uh," He took a sharp breath and sighed. "We want to invite you to football practice personally," he said. I rolled my eyes, looking away.

"I'm not interested," I growled.

"Meghan wants Mia to join the cheer squad too."

"I don't care," I snapped again, disinterested.

"Fine!" Sebastian threw his hands up in frustration. "Why do I even bother?"

Alexander looked in our direction, clearing his throat as his eyes met Sebastian's. "Sebastian, is everything okay?" he asked.

"Why does it matter?" Sebastian snapped at him, irritated. Alexander groaned under his breath, stood up, ran his fingers through his golden locks, adjusted his glasses on his nose, took a hesitant, deep breath, and sat back down.

"You're free to leave, Sebastian," he said. Sebastian stood up, gathered his things from his desk, and locked eyes with Alex. "Oh, and Sebastian, be nice to your cousin."

"Mark's not my..." Sebastian began, but he stopped himself. "It doesn't matter." He slung his backpack over his shoulder, shoved his papers inside, and stormed off, leaving Alexander and me in the room. "Think about it, Max," Sebastian muttered.

"Maximus," Alexander boldly stared at me, frustration evident in his voice as his accent returned.

"Mark switched sides. I've been observing him and..."

"Go to the hotel. We'll talk when I get there," Alex ordered.

I grumbled, "Yes, sir."

"And I don't want you or Mia touching anything on the desk."

"Got it," I moaned, irritated. I gathered my belongings, stuffing them into my bag.

"Text her," he muttered through gritted teeth.

"Okay!" I snarled again, pulling out my phone from my pocket. Walking towards the doorway, I noticed Bryce alone in the hallway. He was engrossed in his cell phone, and as I passed, he watched me.

"Max," Bryce called my name curiously. What did he want from me? "Max," he called again.

"Leave me alone, Bryce," I growled, ignoring him. I continued down the hallway towards the exit, leaving him behind. But I sensed his footsteps behind me, and they suddenly stopped when I saw James, the golden boy, walking with his arm around a beautiful girl with brown eyes. Noah, Mark, and another boy stood in the hallway, surrounding him.

"Don't bother with him," Noah said. I glanced at them, partially turned towards them, feeling a lump in my throat. What the hell? WHAT-THE-HELL. Was being the bad guy wrong? I thought I was doing the right thing, but it felt foreign, an uncomfortable feeling in my gut. I was getting tired of it, too.