Twenty-Five

I approached Claire's front porch, ringing the doorbell twice and knocking once. Her house evoked memories of my previous home in Arizona, with its grand white structures, a couple of front bushes, and a sizable front lawn shielded by a large gate in a peaceful, secluded neighborhood.

Claire greeted me with a wide grin as the door swung open, guiding me inside while holding my hand. To the left was a cozy living room, and to the right, a welcoming kitchen. Memories flooded back, and I felt an immediate sense of belonging.

In the kitchen doorway stood Shawn, indulging in a pint of cookie dough ice cream with a spoon. Dylan also glanced out briefly from the kitchen.

"I wasn't here," Shawn remarked, playfully pressing the spoon to his nose before taking another scoop of ice cream.

Claire led me to the living room, where Madison was engrossed in watching old underdog reruns while munching on pretzels. Shawn and Dylan walked in behind me, munching on Twizzles and Dr. Peeps, and plopped down next to Madison.

"Hey, James," Madison waved at me, adjusting her hat and tousling her wavy blonde hair. "Join me, cousin," she chuckled, teasingly inviting me to join her.

Claire guided me to the couch, sandwiching me between the two girls before Dylan and Shawn joined us.

"Underdog. Quite the bold choice," Dylan remarked, winking in my direction.

"It's the only good thing on TV right now," Madison shrugged, dismissing the limited options.

Claire wrapped her arm around me, snuggling closer, when Shawn cleared his throat. "If you two kiss again, I'm leaving the room."

Claire playfully taunted her brother, grinning as she pulled me close and gave me a peck on the lips. Shawn raised his arms in exasperation, and she leaped off the couch.

"You're dead to me, Claire," he retorted, hiding a mischievous smirk beneath his hoodie.

"Oh, come on, Shawn. Don't be a spoilsport just because I've found someone and you haven't," she shot back, raising an eyebrow and returning his playful grin. "You don't understand true love."

"It looks more like puppy love to me," he responded, creating a playful tension in the room. "Maybe I should kiss Madison." Shawn wiggled his eyebrows at her, making a teasing gesture.

"Are you serious?" Maddie's face lit up. "If you wanted to kiss me, you could have just asked."

"Get a room," Dylan chimed in. "Wuff." Madison pushed herself off the floor, wiggling her eyebrows back at Shawn, and settled beside him.

"Anyone up for a kissing contest?" Madison asked, causing my eyes to widen and my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. "Didn't expect that from you, Maddox," I remarked. Madison winked in my direction.

"Expect anything with her," Dylan interjected, rising to his feet and dusting himself off. "I'm going to the kitchen to find something substantial to eat," he declared. "You guys have fun with your kissing contest." He rolled his eyes and wandered to the kitchen.

Suddenly, Carter, Shawn, and Claire's twelve-year-old brother sprinted down the steps, stomping the last one with a wide grin, high-fiving Dylan as he passed. "Anyone up for some pizza? I know where Dad keeps his credit cards," he exclaimed, his voice barely breaking through puberty.

"You little rascal," Claire giggled at him, inviting him to join us. "I won't tell Dad if you won't," she glanced at Shawn, awaiting his response. Shawn shrugged, crossed his arms behind his head, and reclined. This was great. If I had done this to my dad, he would have been furious.

"Mum's the word." Shawn placed his finger on his lips in a shushing gesture. "Don't forget to take five dollars from his drawer for the tip."

Carter dashed back up the steps as Dylan returned to the room. "I heard pizza," he said.

"You're a couple of minutes late, dork," Madison chuckled.

"I was in the bathroom," he countered.

She nodded. "Good to know."

Carter returned with the card and a five-dollar bill, joining us in the living room. "Too slow, buddy," Claire smiled at him.

"Speaking of fast, have you seen that YouTube video?" Carter smiled, proudly displaying his toothless grin. Here we go.

"What video?" Claire inquired. In the background, Madison signaled for Carter to stop. "James, you know what I'm talking about. The one where you--"

"Okay, kid. Why don't I take the card and the five, and you go back upstairs while we place the order," Dylan took the credit card from Carter's tiny fingers and directed him toward the staircase. Thank you, Dylan.

"What video?" Claire persisted. Oh boy. I sighed deeply, trying to avoid eye contact with her.

"Um, what? I don't know what you're talking about." Madison tried to play it off, shifting uncomfortably on the couch. Smooth move, Maddie.

"Tell her already!" Shawn pressed further.

"Dylan, why don't you place the orders? What does everyone want?" Madison instructed her brother, attempting to change the subject again.

"Tell her?" Shawn growled. Unexpectedly, Madison leaned in and kissed him, her eyes fixed on mine the entire time. Shawn didn't resist; instead, he cupped her cheeks and kissed her back while Claire watched them relax against the couch cushions.

"So, um, what does everyone want?" Claire clapped her hands, swiftly shifting the topic after I pleaded with my eyes.

"I'll have whatever everyone else wants," I said.

Suddenly, Madison broke away from Shawn, raising her hand. "I'm up for anything, as long as it doesn't have pineapple, because who does that? Yuck."

We didn't argue. Instead, Dylan ordered two meat lovers' pizzas, a plain cheese pizza, a couple of boneless wings, and some pasta on his cellphone.

"Alright, the order's placed. What are we watching?" Dylan asked.

"Has anyone ever watched a horror movie?" Madison inquired.

"Yeah," Shawn replied.

Madison grinned, her eyes turning cold as she reached into the couch crack and retrieved a remote control. "Well, I've got the remote, and that's what we're watching." Shawn tried to grab the remote, but she playfully pulled it away. "Who's up for a paranormal murder mystery?"

Dylan reached over the couch and swiftly snatched the remote from her fingertips. "There's a child in the house." His gaze shifted toward the staircase as we followed his line of sight.

"You're the fun police," Madison pouted like a child. "But you're not wrong."

Dylan rolled his eyes and handed me the remote. "You choose," he said.

"Me?" I asked.

"Yeah, you," Dylan insisted. All eyes were on me as I stared at the remote. "Alright," I said. "Anyone up for something super?"

"Do it!" Madison cheered. I flipped through the channels and found an old Superman rerun on TV.

"You're welcome," I said, leaning back and pulling Claire down. She squealed as she fell onto me, and I softly kissed her lips. Carter exclaimed from the living room entrance.

"My eyes! My innocent eyes," he groaned, rushing to the kitchen. "You'll understand one day, Carter," Shawn called out to his brother.

"No, I won't!" Carter shouted. We all rolled our eyes in unison. He was still too young to grasp it, but he would learn soon enough.