Three

"You can't go to school like that, James. I'll call the principal and let him know you're sick," my father stated, pausing his pacing and directing his gaze toward my eyes, shining like amethysts in the living room. "Your eyes are lighting up like a glowing stick, James."

Sam sat beside me on the couch, using his phone's flashlight to examine my eyes. Derek and Noah lingered near the doorway, observing from a distance. Before seeing the dusty living room, I blinked twice, momentarily disturbed by the bright light.

"I can run tests to discover why your eyes aren't returning to their usual blue. Meanwhile, I agree with your father. It's not a good idea to go to school right now," Sam suggested.

"I didn't want to go to school anyway," I muttered.

Noah smirked. "Me neither," he confessed, entering the room. Sam frowned.

"You're starting school, Noah. No ifs or buts—"

"Seriously?" Noah whined. Sam nodded, shining the light into my eyes once more.

"James is sick," Sam gave me a sympathetic glance and shrugged. "But you're going to school, Noah," he declared, a faint hint of pride on his face. Noah rolled his eyes as he jumped over the couch and sat beside me, his hands brushing against the dusty leather.

"Besides, I don't want to be around Rudolph, the purple-eyed dork anyway," he snarked.

"Noah!" Sam and my father scolded.

Grace entered the room, pushing past Derek and bumping into him with her shoulder. She arrogantly grinned and slipped into the living room wearing one of Sam's old high school hoodies and a pair of my mom's sweats. Derek rolled his eyes and grunted, moving away from the doorway this time.

"Bitch," Derek muttered. Grace surveyed the room, intentionally avoiding eye contact with Derek. Their animosity always puzzled me.

"Hello, gentlemen—" she glanced coldly at my brother, "and Derek." Her grin widened as she crossed her arms and focused on a flustered Derek. Her presence commanded everyone's attention.

"Did you sleep well?" Sam asked meekly, finally putting his phone away.

Grace grinned wider, reveling in being the center of attention. "Like a newborn baby," she replied.

Derek provocatively muttered, "That's because you are a baby." Grace punched Derek's muscular chest, and he scowled at her, annoyed and fed up.

"Derek, Grace. Cut it out," my father bellowed. Grace raised her hands in surrender.

"Fine. I give up. Derek's weak, anyway. Let's put him out of his misery." Derek rolled his eyes once again.

"Says the bitch who got her ass kicked by her father and brother." Derek leaned against the wall casually.

My father scowled at him. "DEREK!"

"Well, I'm going out to explore the neighborhood. Who else wants to join?" Derek evaded our enraged father.

"I do. We haven't lived here since I was nine," I added. We moved away to Phoenix right after my mother passed away. It felt good to be back home. I was glad to be home again.

Noah grinned, chiming in. "I'm in, too." Sam's eyes darted between us, trying to decide who to lecture first.

"Neither of you is going anywhere. We need to figure out the issue with your eye color before you go out in public. Your father and I will see if we can get colored contacts, but for now, I don't want you exposing your eyes to the outdoors," Samual said, my father nodding. Sam focused his gaze on Noah next. "You need to prepare for tomorrow's appointment with the school principal," Sam concluded. Noah huffed, slumping against the couch, anticipating his father's admonishments.