Chapter 5 - Training Pt 3

"ALRIGHT MAGGOTS, GRAB YOURSELF A BACKPACK, AND LETS GO" 

We were all rushing around in the freezing cold rain, grabbing our backpacks all while attempting to stay covered under our thin cold raincoats. Of course this was the night we were going to be carrying heavy bags and running through the woods.

I swung my dark green raincoat around my shoulders and picked up one of the bags that was laid out in front of us. "Holy fuck" I mumbled under my breath while attempting to get the bag to sit comfortably on my back in preparation for the run through the dark forest we were forced to do as part of training. I heard a yelp from behind me and I turned quickly to see Armin struggling to get his bag on his back. I looked at him sympathetically and ran over to help him get his bag on. We were already behind everyone else who had started running through the forest behind the Commander who was still screaming aggressive commands. 

"(Y/N) no! You need to catch up don't fall behind because of me" Armin shouted through the intense rainfall. "Don't be stupid Armin! Come on!" We worked together to get his bag on and both started running. 

I won't lie, I was slowing myself down extremely to stay by Armin's side. We had just about caught up to the back half of cadets storming through the forest. By this point everyone was panting and slowing down, some tripping over their own feet in the slippery mud, a few had fallen over and were now struggling to get back up as the commander screamed their names as soon as they would hit the ground. I dodged every struggling cadet while also trying to stay with Armin who was at a decent paced run by this point. 

"(Y/N) you know you can go faster than this, I want you to go!" Armin shouted through the rain, I ignored him not wanting to leave him behind.

That's when it started again.

"You can't hold yourself back like this Cadet" 

"HEY! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN'T DO IT?"

I stumbled slightly as you heard the voice of someone next to you, followed by an instant flashback, similar to the one you had experienced the other day. "Wha-what??" You turned to the right where the voice was coming from. 

"Cadet Arlert is going to be fine. Show your full skill or forget about ever being a soldier." 

"YOU HAVE TO DO IT. DON'T HOLD BACK"

Like a light switch, whoever's voice this was triggered instant vocal flashbacks to occur in my brain.

I continued running with Armin who was now looking at me with concern in his face. What the fuck? Why now..

"I know you can run faster than this. Show us what you can do Brat!" 

"YOU'RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK. I PROMISE" 

It was Captain Levi. Every time he spoke. Another flashback. I looked him in the eyes, trying to work out what about his commands were sending me in and out of flashbacks. His face remained cold and stern as he jogged along side me. "Don't hold yourself back for other cadets (L/N)".

I looked over to Armin, slightly stunned and dazed. He nodded at you reassuringly "He's right (Y/N)! I'll be fine, I'll see you at the end of the course okay?" My mind went black for a second but I made my decision. I nodded firmly at Armin "I'll see you later okay?" Armin smiled and nodded back, determination lighting up his face. I looked back at Levi before I let myself go at full strength. He nodded to me and I couldn't find myself able to do anything but look ahead, and run.

I pulled my bag up on my back more comfortably and went full speed. I felt awful leaving Armin behind, but he was right, I couldn't hold myself back so much, this wasn't a game. Levi was right too. But what the hell were those flashbacks. I shook it out of my mind for the moment and continued running on. I dodged in and out of fellow cadets and ducked under every tree branch and leaf in sight. I felt in touch with the woods around me. This was my environment. 

Hange's voice rang out "LOOK AT HER GO!"

"THAT'S IT SWEETIE YOU'VE GOT IT" 

More flashbacks, but this time, Hange's voice. I shook it off. It was nothing.

I kept myself running forwards overtaking Eren as I went. Overtaking Connie, Sasha, Jean, Ymir and finally Mikasa until I was up ahead of everyone. It was just me alone with my falling steps at this point. My brain had even shut out the loud screams of the commander at this point and my instincts took over completely. 

After what felt like an eternity of running, I was tired, aching and mentally exhausted, but the end was in sight. The exit of the woods was there. I ran the final stretch and arrived at the end of the woods. My breathing was rapid at this point, and the bottom half of my legs were completely caked in mud. I had scratches all over my face from branches I had failed to notice in time. I pulled my backpack off and collapsed completely on my back, looking up at the night sky. I smiled and laughed to myself. 

"Holy shit" I thought to myself. I had surprised myself slightly. I was quickly joined on the ground by Mikasa who had come out of the woods just after me. "Holy shit" Mikasa said my thoughts out loud . We both laughed and sat up, leaning our elbows on our bent knees, awaiting the arrival of everyone else. 

"THAT was what I call running" Mikasa laughed pushing me over playfully. I simply smiled in response "You weren't too bad yourself Ackerman" "Are you kidding me? You were insane back there" She responded as the others began to emerge from the woods. Jean came slugging out, followed by Eren and Sasha. "What the hell" Jean managed to get out between pants and coughs "What happened back there, you turned into a monster" Eren spluttered out, collapsing on the floor next to me placing his head on my right thigh and closing his eyes. Jean followed his movements and placed his head on my left thigh, both of them now lying down. I laughed at their exhaustion. "I guess my instincts just took over again" I shrugged my shoulders placing a hand on each of their heads. "I guess my instincts just took over again" Jean mocked me in a dumb voice, rolling his eyes, earning a flick on the forehead from me. 

Armin was now out and heavily placed himself on the grass in between me and Mikasa, also struggling to catch his breath but he turned at me beaming with joy. "(Y/N), that was amazing! I'm so glad!" He patted me on the back and I smiled at him "Thanks Armin, You did great too" I reassured him. In fairness to him, he had actually done very well. Not even half of the cadets were out of the woods yet.