Chapter 4 - Training Pt 2

It had been a few days since my flashback. 

No others had come since. 

I was still trying to work out who those voices belonged to. 

I sat, once again, alone at a table in the food hall. My friends were looking over to me concerned and none of them had called out to me this time. I think they realised I needed time by myself to sort my head out. My pen was sat in my hand, my journal on the table in front of me, and a plate with my dinner on next to me. I tapped my pen on the table urging my brain to think back as far as I could. I closed my eyes and covered my face with my hands. I felt tears of frustration pricking behind my eye lids, but I shook my head a forced them back. I was not going to let this get the better of my mental state. That is not what I need right now.

I took a deep breath and put my hands back on the table, closing my journal and putting it to my side. I ran my fingers through my (H/C) hair and decided to try and eat something. As I went to take my first mouthful of soup, I felt a presence next to me. I looked up to see it was just Jean, looking stone faced as usual, However his face softened when I made eye contact. 

"Hey Jean" I tried to sound as cheerful as possible, so as not to make him worry like my other friends. "Can I sit?" He asked gently. I nodded my head and gestured my hand to my side as I ate. Jean sat next to you, one leg over each side of the bench so he was facing you side on.

"(Y/N), I know you don't talk to me about stuff as much as Eren and Mikasa and I probably can't offer the advice that Armin can, but I can tell when somethings bothering you" Jean spoke as he started to eat. "Is there something you wanna talk about?" I was touched that Jean actually wanted to do something other than flirt with me. I knew Jeans feelings for me were very much romantic, and mine in return were not exactly so straight forward, but I had always felt he would never be someone I could truly invest emotional baggage in. But now in this moment he seemed genuinely concerned and curious.

I placed a hand upon his "Don't worry Jean, I'm just having a weird day, I'll be fine in time for endurance training later, I'll be myself again then" I smiled reassuringly at him. Jean grinned back at me and continued eating. We ate together in a comfortable silence, I smiled to myself, feeling grateful for our friendship, when someone else decided to join us at the table. 

"Good evening Cadets!" The chirpy voice of Section Commander Hange rang out in my ears, I snapped out of it and looked up at her, I was confused but smiled regardless. Jean looked at her blankly. "Section Commander? What are you doing here?" I questioned her, giving a small salute. "Oh no need for that my dear" She spoke while lowering my hands for. "Commander Erwin, Levi and I are back to monitor your endurance training! Isn't that exciting!" Her eyes glazed over with joy and excitement as she spoke. I side eyed Jean and he looked back at me, confusion covering both our faces. "Yeah I suppose it is Section Commander, but why?" I asked, finishing my last bit of soup. 

"Hu-huh? Why?" Her smile dropped to an anxious expression, "Well, I actually-" Suddenly a heavy hand fell upon her shoulder, I looked up to see who the hand belonged to. Captain Levi. "Levi! (Y/N) here wanted to know-" "I heard already, quit asking questions and get to training now brats." Levi interrupted Hange very quickly after she spoke. I looked down, slightly embarrassed that he had been eaves dropping and I somehow hadn't noticed. "Hey, she was just asking a fair question" Jean boldly stated crossing his arms. My heart dropped and I quickly looked at him, shocked that he had just spoken to a Captain in such a bold tone without even addressing him correctly. Levi's eyes turned dark and it sent a chill through your body. He let his hand drop from Hange's shoulder. He walked over to our side of the table and let his face come to be inches from Jeans. 

"It's none of your business why we are monitoring you, you should be working your hardest anyway. What difference does it make if we're there. Don't piss me off and salute when you speak to me, Cadet." Jean attempted to hold an aggressive facial expression, but Levi's presence alone what pretty powerful, let alone when he's all up on your face like that! "Sorry sir!" I blurted out on behalf of Jean, not wanting to let him feel uncomfortable for too long. "Please excuse me, but we'll be heading to get ready for training now, sir" I grabbed Jeans hand and stood up, grabbing my journal as we left. I speed walked out, Jeans hand still in mine, and didn't look back.

3rd Person POV: 

Levi stood there, watching as you dragged your rude friend away. He was slightly taken aback by your well mannered, yet confident way of addressing him. It was bugging him. He would normally call it disrespect, but he technically couldn't fault the way you spoke to him, It was just-

"Confident, isn't she?" Hange interrupted his train of thought. 

"Tch, if you wanna call it that. Seemed disrespectful to me" He moodily said his thoughts out loud. 

Hange turned to him with wide eyes and laughed loudly. Levi turned to her, eyebrows furrowed, nose turned up. "What is it four eyes" He was getting quickly frustrated by the sound of her cackling. 

"Oh Levi! Just because all of your confidence is shown through discourtesy it doesn't mean everyone else's is! She was perfectly respectful. Her confidence is polite" She stood up and looked at him, His eyebrows were still furrowed and his arms were crossed. Hange looked up once again, to see you were now talking and laughing with your other friends by the exit of the food hall. "Although, I thought she might be a bit quieter and I guess less confident considering what she's been through" Hange spoke watching as you and Jean were leaving the building, now followed by Mikasa, Eren and Armin. "Shut up Hange, don't let her hear you talking like that, she can't suspect we know anything." Levi hissed out, flicking her glasses, which was responded to with a yelp of surprise. She sighed and looked down. 

"I just don't understand it. The logic doesn't add up. The girl is clearly physically capable and very smart. Her instincts are marked as being incredible, second only to Sasha Braus. But she's torturing herself trying to remember what happened it seems inhumane to sit back and watch her struggle when we can help her." Hange spoke half to herself and half to Levi. 

"She could make an incredible scout and be a massive benefit to us if she had her head on straight. If she's worried about this all the time she's most likely to join the Military police for a more easy life" Hange finished her sentence with a big sigh as she rubber her temples. Levi watched as she finished her statement, knowing she was right. He looked away as he made his own hypothesis.  

"On the contrary, I have a feeling this is all part of a plan to help her join the scouts." Levi replied as they made their way out of the food hall into the dark and rainy evening. "I know his thought process as much as you Hange, but he must have a plan, he may be straight forward as a commander, and get things done, but he's not cruel. I'm sure there's a bigger picture" 

Hange looked at him, surprised. "You really think this is all to make her join the scouts??" she asked, shock in her voice.

Levi shook his head "I don't know, all I'm saying is that it seems unlike Erwin to keep something so important from someone who could potentially be an excellent soldier."