Chapter 23 - Remembering

Since Levi was determined to have me on his squad, that was what happened. 

Me, Eren, Levi, and the rest of Levi's squad rode towards a big castle in the middle of the woods. This would now be our headquarters. 

We jumped off of our horses as we got to the opening and placed them in the stable. 

I stroked my black horse on the nose and he snuffled at my neck, I giggled slightly and kissed him on the nose. 

"What's his name?" Eren came up behind me and put his hand on his hip, smiling at me. 

"Jay" I replied smiling back at him. Eren reached up and patted Jays neck gently as nu nuzzled into it. 

I laughed and it slowly receded into a frown. 

"God, we're soldiers" I said quietly to Eren, looking down at the ground. 

Eren turned to look at me, giving me a sympathetic look. 

"Yeah, we are" He responded. We stood there for a moment in silence before it was broken by Levi shouting over to us. 

"Jaeger get over here you have cleaning to do inside, (L/N) you and Petra are on stable duty." 

"Yes sir" Me and Eren said in unison. Eren made his way over to Levi as Petra headed over to me. I quickly recognized her as the rude girl I met that day of the breach. Needless to say we cleaned the stable in silence until she decided to speak up after about 20 minutes of us cleaning.

"I uh.. I wanted to apologise for the way I acted towards you the other day. I was stressed and truth be told I wasn't sure how skilled you were." She sighed and stopped sweeping to look up at me "I'm sorry, can we start again?"

I smiled back at her polite gesture and nodded. I offered her my hand to shake 

"Hi I'm (Y/N)"

She smiled brightly and shook my hand gently. 

"Petra, nice to meet you" 

The silence continued but it was now a comfortable silence. 

We finished cleaning the stables as it started to rain, neither of us had our coats with us so decided to stay under shelter until it stopped. 

"So do you know the Captain well? He seemed quite well acquainted with you when we met the other day" Petra was now trying to converse with me which was nice. 

"I guess you could say that. He saved me from a titan when I was 14 and then Hange and Erwin took me in. I've lost my memory from that time but as far as I can remember Levi taught me hand to hand combat and helped me learn how to fight."

Petra watched me intensely as I spoke and I felt a slight hostility from her friendliness before. 

"I see. I suppose you're more like a student to him then." She replied bluntly

"I.. Guess so something like that"

She nodded abruptly.

"Yeah that must be it, I guess you're a lot younger than him too what are you 18?" She continued. 

I was starting to sense awkwardness arising in the air around us so I decided to get up and leave despite the rain. 

"I'm gonna head inside" 

I quickly left the stables and walked to the castle, by the time I reached the door I was completely soaked. I took a deep breath and stepped in the front door, dripping wet.