IV

four.

(—true suffering)

Kakashi Hatake stared up at the rooftop of Tazuna's house just barely able to make out the black outline of his new mysterious student. It had occurred to him to just confront her and ask about her old team. However, Inazuma's expression when she told him that Team Arashi was a taboo topic around Winter made him second guess his decision. Sighing softly he leaped onto the roof sitting down next to Winter. 

"You should be sleeping." He said, speaking low so he didn't wake the others. 

She shrugged her shoulders and he noticed a silver object being spun in between her fingers. "I'm not tired." She said, though her body posture spoke a different story. Her shoulders were curled in as if a heavy burden had been placed on her, her turquoise eyes had black bags underneath, and her chakra levels were so low Kakashi was surprised she was still awake.

Rolling his eyes Kakashi reprimanded her, "Winter, you may only be a temporary placement as you wish to be called, but I care for my comrades' well beings. You need the sleep or else you won't be of any use against Zabuza." 

Winter let out a deep breath, choosing to ignore his words for the time being. "Kakashi you were alive during one of the Great Ninja Wars, right?" Blinking he nodded his head slowly, wondering where she was going with this. "Did you ever feel like you should just give up? Like the whole world is striving against you, wanting you to fall again, and again, and again. Wearing you down piece by piece until you don't know what's wrong and what's right, and you are going to shatter with that final tap?"

Silence followed her small speech, broken by a single word. "Yes." 

Winter paused, her necklace hanging from her fingertips. The two ninjas sat in silent, both thinking about the things that have worn them down in this world. "Goodnight... Kakashi-Sensei." Winter got up gracefully, her movements reminding him of a cat or perhaps another animal, and swung down from the roof into her open window, closing the window silently and laid down on top of her bed. 

Chakra exhaustion finally caught up with her as her eyelids grew heavier. Finally, everything went black.

***

Waking up with a start Winter clutched her chest, feeling her increased heartbeat. Swinging her feet over onto the wooden floor she silently padded across the room grabbing a change of clothes. Getting into the shower she washes her hair and lets the warm water ease her aching muscles. Turning off the stream of water, she gets dressed and pulls her hair up into a neat bun. Afterward, she places her swords on her back and ties her hi-ate across her forehead. Pulling on her shoes she goes down the stairs just in time to see the Uchiha brush past her and walk out the door.

Sitting down across from Sakura, Winter nods her head in thanks to the bowl of food Tsunami placed in front of her. "What got the Uchiha in a pissy mood?" She mumbled scooping more of the delicious food into her mouth. 

"That idiot Naruto was out all night training, I wouldn't be surprised if he is lying dead somewhere from chakra exhaustion. It would serve him right! Don't y-" Sakura stopped talking seeing Winter's eyes narrow and glare at the pinkette. 

"So you would wish death upon your teammate?" The black haired girl questions in a calm voice. 

To calm, Kakashi realized.

"Well, yeah I guess. I mean I don't want Naruto to die, but if he died from chakra exhaustion it would serve him right and..." Sakura trailed off seeing lightning starting to spark around Winter's enclosed fists.