𝟏𝟏 | Unexpected

Feeling the morning sunlight on her face, Y/N flutters her eyes open

Feeling the morning sunlight on her face, Y/N flutters her eyes open. A content sigh escapes her lips as she looks up at Donghyuck who lay asleep beside her. She checks the time displayed by the digital clock, 7:43 am, before placing a chaste kiss on the boy's cheek and getting up, leaving the room.

The house was quiet as it was still too early for both Lees who were peacefully asleep. Y/N fixes herself up, changing into her work attire and preparing breakfast for the three of them.

Entering Donghyuck's room once again, she smiles seeing him sleeping peacefully. His mouth was slightly hung open and soft snores were heard every time he breathed in, it was an adorable sight.

Dreading having to leave, she places another kiss on his cheek before sticking a note on his forehead in which she wrote, I'm going to work. Eat the breakfast I made, with your mom!" with a little heart of encouragement at the very end.

. . .

Turning on his bed, Donghyuck reaches his hand to the other side only to find an empty space. He furrows his eyebrows as he opens his eyes, then feeling the itch of the sticky note on his forehead. He reads the note, smiling to himself like a fool.

He sits up, placing the note in his drawer along with the many other notes she has left for him ever since they started dating; four weeks ago.

Leaving his room, he met with his mother in the kitchen. He sent her a smile as he sat across from her.

"Did you sleep well?" Mrs. Lee asks her son who nods in response. She hands him a bowl of rice which he gladly takes.

Their relationship was still a work in progress, Donghyuck was gradually forgiving and opening up to her. And Mrs. Lee was as patient and understanding as ever.

As his mother places some vegetables onto his spoon, Donghyuck smiles. It was little things like this that he always wanted to do with a parent. He wanted a mother to feed him and take care of him when he fell ill and a father that he could drink with. And now that he has a mother who is doing such things, happiness couldn't be more evident on his face.

"How about we go out for dinner..." the boy stops his words, contemplating whether the timing was right to say the word, "Mom."

The word slips off his tongue easier than he expected after all the overthinking he did. A sudden feeling of joy takes over the boy as he watches the corners of his mother's lips curve upwards into a small smile.

"Of course, we can go anywhere you want," she glees, her happiness evident in the way she smiles so widely and fidgets with her hands. "Eat up," she places another piece of meat on his spoon which he happily eats.

"You, too," he lifts his chopsticks before placing more meat on her bowl of rice.

The rest of the morning and afternoon continued that way. They washed dishes and did laundry together and even went through the old photo book that carried very few pictures yet many memories.

"I'm going to give Y/N a quick call and then we can head out," Donghyuck says, heading into his bedroom.

Dialing the girl's number, he has the brightest smile on his face. She picks up after the third ring in a cheerful mood.

"Hyuck, hey," Y/N speaks, holding the phone steady between her head and shoulder as her hands are busy. "Hey," his smile widens.

"You sound like you're having a good day," the girl chuckles taking note of the excitement in his voice.

"I am. I'm taking my mom out for dinner," he tells her.

"What are you doing calling me then? Go!" Y/N urges the boy, not wanting to limit his time out with his mother.

"I wanted to hear your voice," he speaks teasingly. Although he can't see her face, he knows she's rolling her eyes at his words.

"I'm hanging up," she laughs, "But really stop wasting time and go spend time with her. She's probably anxious out there."

"Alright, I'll pick you up later," Donghyuck smiles, "Love you."

"Love you, too. And don't bother picking me up, I'll just get home on my own," she tells him before hanging up the call.

Getting back to her business, Y/N couldn't help the smile that appeared on her face from the start of the call, up until the end of her shift. She was happy for Donghyuck and his mother.

"Have a good night," Y/N bids as she departs from the shop. Night had already dawned upon the streets which were gradually becoming empty. She lets out a content sigh as she walks, placing her hands in the pockets of her sweater.

She felt at ease, for the most part, walking alone, feeling the fresh breeze hitting her face, raising goosebumps on her skin.

The feeling of peace did not last long though. She starts to take notices of a car trailing behind her. At first, she brushes it off not thinking much of it but after turning multiple corners and crossing multiple streets, she began to get wary. She takes out her phone, ready to call anyone in case of an actual emergency.

Turning another corner, Y/N speeds up her pace as the car continues to trail behind her. She feels her heart pounding against her ribcage as anxiety takes over her body. The only thing on her mind was Donghyuck and how bad she wished that he was with her right now.

"Wait...Y/N!"

The girl makes an abrupt stop, her feet planted on the concrete as she recognizes the female's voice. Cautiously, Y/N turns around, her eyes meeting the familiar irises of the woman and she feels her heart drop to the pit of her stomach.

"It's me."

"Mom?"