Chapter Three

It didn't take long for her dad to catch up to everything that had happened. Of course he was welcoming and very receptive to allowing them to stay at their house.

The group set up dinner and sat at the smaller table eating and discussing everything about themselves. Y/n mostly listened to take in everything about these people she had let into her life.
Armin was a polite and soft spoken but extremely intelligent boy. His blonde bowl cut made him appear almost feminine, but that didn't stop y/n from staring into those big blue eyes. He had so much to tell them, but he made sure to only speak respectfully and give the others time to talk.

Eren was something else. He spoke very directly and like he was a commander giving a speech to his troops. He had witnessed something horrible, his mother's death, right before fleeing his home. After seeing her get consumed by a titan he vowed he would "kill all titans" and the anger was pulsating off him almost at all times. His green eyes were something y/n was almost afraid to look into.

Mikasa was quiet most of the time. Just enjoying the home cooked meal and listening to her friends. Armin explained her situation because she didn't seem too keen on doing it herself. He said that she was orphaned a few years ago and taken in my Eren's family. Her long black hair partially covered her face as she continues to stare into the plate beneath her.

"Tell us a little bit about you, y/n," Armin said kindly looking directly at you, "considering we will be spending some time here in your home."

"There's not a lot to tell, me and my dad live here and I spend most of my time outside hunting. I grew up in these woods and I don't know much about big city living."

"Where's your mom?" Eren asked abruptly.

"Come on, Eren, you can't just ask something like that." Armin smiled apologetically back at you after scolding his friend.

"Oh, it's fine. She passed away about four years back. She got sick and the doctors couldn't figure out how to help." Y/n said while looking over at her dad. He just nodded solemnly, recalling that hard year. It still haunts him.

After an awkward few minutes of the sound of forks picking at the wild boar on the table y/n excused herself and walked outside with the dogs she let out. Mikasa smacked her hand on the back of her stupid friend's head.

"Ow! What was that for?" Eren cried out.

"Sometimes I feel like I need to protect you from yourself." She replied softly.

"I don't need protecting. Just because mom said that doesn't mean you need to follow through." He spit back. That shut her up.

"I'm going to go check on her, if that's ok with you sir?" Armin asked her dad. He nodded and so off he went.

•••••

Y/n was sitting on a hill in front of her house looking up at the stars peaking through the almost night sky. She had four dogs surrounding her and three of them were off doing there own thing. She loved just sitting in this spot, thinking about all of the things she could do in her future. What that future would look like.

Things were so hectic in the town. She could hear the commotion coming off of the town as a hum, even though it was approaching night time.

These people had their lives uprooted and there was nothing anyone could do to help them get them back. She never wanted to deal with something like that. Losing her mother at a young age was traumatic enough.

As she sat there gazing at the sunset she heard her smaller dog, Pudge, growl behind her. Y/n rested her arm on the hill to get a better look behind her and saw Armin approaching.

"Hope I'm not intruding." He said with a sheepish smile, "I really just wanted to apologize about Eren back there. He doesn't really have great manners."

Y/n chuckled. "Honestly, it caught me off guard more than anything. I'm fine. I'm more concerned with you guys than anything."

"Honestly, it was really scary losing my grandpa, and I never could've imagined what was next for us when we boarded the boat out of there. But, I'm glad we found you guys. You and your father really seem to have it together and I hope we aren't too cumbersome towards the household."

Y/n digested what he said while he sat down on the hill near her. Pudge climbed on his lap requesting rubs and Armin obliged. The little dog wasn't chunky but he was fluffy and always brought a smile to anyone's face that he met.

"I think I can speak for both of us when I say that we are glad for a change of pace and the company that came with it. Anyways, I'll take one of you to go hunting with me."

A sour look coated the boys face. "I don't know anything about killing animals, but I'm sure the others would be more helpful."

"The more the merrier." She smiled back at him.

They say there in silence while it got darker. The town glowed in the distance and all was calm. The crickets chirped their usual songs and the cicadas played their harmony. Y/n leaned back and later her head amongst the soft grass and weeds. She looked to her left and saw Armin's eyes glued on the stars above. Maybe y/n could see herself making friends after all.