Chapter Eight

*Levi's POV* *Present time*

Why was I dragged out here? Because another captain claimed to have a special trainee that he thought would be perfect for the scouts? Oh please, I didn't need to be here for this, Erwin just made me tag along because he knew that I wouldn't have come on my own.

There are a few of the trainees beneath us just staring. What a pain in the ass.

"Who is this trainee you wanted us to meet, Shadis?" Erwin asked the bald man with a smile on his face. We had been bombarded with so many words and I was growing more bored than I thought possible. I shifted my weight onto my other leg and glared at the nitwits below.

Being interrupted by the commander had caught the instructor off guard. He rubbed his smooth scalp and looked out where Levi's eyes were searching. "Her name is Mikasa Ackerman. I have never had a student catch on so quickly. I didn't really have to show her anything. She's fast and uses all weapons precisely. She's the one with the red scarf on."

She's wearing a scarf in this summer heat? Is she insane? Tch.

"On top of her skills," Shadis continued despite the captain's drama, "There are a few others that show extreme potential. There's Eren Jaeger, he's got so much drive that he doesn't know what to do with it, but he get's shit done. Then there is Reiner Braun, he's stronger than the other boys, I don't know how he managed to gain so much weight despite the meals we feed them. But he is sure to kick anyone's ass."

"We don't need a fighter, we need people that can kill titans out there in the field. I know you haven't seen that much action, but come on." I said to the older bald man. He didn't seem too keen on my comment, but I honestly couldn't give two fucks.

"Oh, there's also y/n l/n. She has faced a lot of obstacles, but she has persevered and has become Mikasa's shadow and, honestly, she is probably the runner up for the best at ODM usage behind her. She's sitting on top of the table next to the blonde boy." He pointed at the table closest to Mikasa.

"That's a boy she's sitting next to?" was the first thing I said. I know I have no filter and I don't care. The girl's h/c hair was pulled back into a high pony and she was staring directly at us. She looked behind herself trying to figure out who her instructor was pointing at. "Are we here to see them in training or are we just here to listen to your stories? This heat is dreadful and I'd hope that Erwin didn't pull us out here for nothing."

"Levi, we need more scouts if we are to try and reclaim Wall Maria. There are no unnecessary travels when looking for the best." The commander replied to his short friend.

"Whatever you say, sir." Was all I could muster without letting my attitude seep out.

Shadis nodded his head and yelled, "Alright, you sad excuse for soldiers! It is time for some ODM training. And yes, our guests will be watching, but don't let that stop you from giving your all!"

The trainees took a moment to stand up and throw their arms over their hearts in a salute towards their superiors. "My name is Commander Erwin and this is my second in command, Captain Levi. We are apart of the Scout Regiment, as I'm sure you heard about a lot in your last few months."

There were a few that looked at us in awe, but most looked at us with an obvious fear in their eyes. This is nothing new for us. No one wants to join the scouts. They know what we deal with on the regular and how many lives have been lost in our endeavors to reclaim the wall.

There is a lot that they don't know, like how our friend Hange Zoe was keen on capturing titans live to do experiments on them. They say that there is somethings we can learn to better our expeditions, but all I can think about is the fact that they've roped me into it.

I rolled my eyes to Erwin's announcement and watched the kids beneath me stare back. The one named y/n seemed like she was staring at me. I assume she saw my eye roll as she looked like she was stifling a laugh. Since she had caught my eye, I now noticed how much older she looked than those around her. She also looks so much more powerful than all the tiny girls around her. If I were any of the men down there I would not want to get punched by her.

Shadis continued, "These important men are here for you, so don't let me down! Now get all your gear together and meet us at the coarse in ten minutes. Go!"