Chapter Five

Y/n didn't know why she did it, but she did it without a second thought. She calmed Armin down and after he was a little more level-headed he enlisted along with them. What else was he going to do?

Y/n's dad was NOT happy to say the least. They had never talked about her joining the military and he didn't know where this had come from. The two of them talked it over after dinner and she didn't back down despite his persistent begging, she had already signed all the necessary paperwork to sign her life away and was dead sent on doing something new and different.

After going back and forth for an hour or so, she finally decided she needed to just go to bed. She had never disappointed her father before, never. He was always proud of her decisions and her skills, but becoming a soldier was suicide, as far as he was concerned. They had always been safe behind the wall and even though Wall Maria was gone, that didn't mean they would face the same fate. He wanted his little girl to stay there with him. Sure, it was a selfish request, but after losing his wife, her mother, he didn't see why his daughter needed to leave him too.

He just sat at the kitchen table, old cup of coffee still sitting there mostly full. She left him there because there was nothing else she could do to soothe him. Y/n walked into the spare room where all of the others were sitting on a bed. As she shut the door, she leaned against it and slid her body to the floor. She didn't want to cry, not in front of this gaggle that had already seen so much. With her arms over her knees and her head facing downward she let out a loud sigh.

She felt a hand rest on her shoulder and looked up to see Armin's sweet eyes looking into her own. He put the same hand out in front of her and she took it. He helped her off the floor and escorted her to sit on the bed next to him and across from the other two.

They couldn't think of anything to say to her. They had all signed up for the same fate. Y/n didn't think of it as suicide, she saw it as a way to get out of this tiny town and see more of the world. She was tired of killing wild boar and rabbits for profit. She wanted more.

"I'll be alright you guys, I promise. Wherever you go, I wanna go. And I wouldn't back out of this with any of my dad's begging. We're going to learn how to fight for ourselves, and we're going to do it all together."

"I still think it's crazy," Armin said calmly. "I had never planned on becoming a soldier, but here I am. To think that tomorrow we will be leaving this town that we had just started calling home. And where will we be going? What trials and training will we have to face?"

Eren spoke up, "Don't you want to get back at those monsters that took away your grandfather?"

The blonde boy's face was shrouded in shadows when he looked at his hands. From what she had seen, he had never been a fighter. He always thought logically about the situations he was put in. "There's nothing smart about that thought. I don't know how to fight and I can't kill all of the titans, neither can you."

The scowl on Eren's face was terrifying. But all he said back to his friend was "I'll show you."