Confusing Envy

Kel freezes.

Sunny… tried to kill himself? If Aubrey wasn't with him right now would he be…

No right now he needs to focus on making sure such a thing doesn't come to pass. He dashes out the door into the early morning light, the sun just cresting over the horizon, lighting his path. The morning dew flies into the air, blown away by his desperate sprinting as he rushes towards Sunny's house.

Aubrey grabs Sunny, she is still trembling. He almost died. If she wasn't there he would have left her again. She would have been alone again. He said he cared. Was that a lie? Did he simply want to hurt her as much as he could by dying in her arms?

No that doesn't make sense. She asked to cuddle, not him, so why?

"Why did you do that!?!" Aubrey screams, still crying, unable to calm down.

Sunny is MISERABLE. 

Aubrey is clearly hurt and he wants to comfort her but he doesn't know how. 

If only he died earlier he wouldn't have to see this. Aubrey wouldn't be so distressed right now.

Would she still be mad if she knew about… SOMETHING?

No. She's better off without him. They all are. They must be. If he's wrong and there's even a chance it'll be OK then what he just did really hurt Aubrey and he… doesn't know what to do. He doesn't want to hurt Aubrey he…

What does he want?

What makes him happy?

He doesn't know anymore.

Aubrey tries to calm herself down. She tries to think of what to do. Who can help. An adult she can trust like…

"Where's your mom?" Aubrey inquires, "We can get you help. Please! You don't have to do this!"

Sunny looks down at his feet.

"Sunny?" Aubrey inquires, knowing something is wrong.

Kel walks in, Aubrey demanding of him, "Kel? When was the last time you saw his mom?"

"I dunno it's been…" Kel replies, freezing at the realization, "It's… been years… Sunny?"

Sunny doesn't answer.

"Sunny," Aubrey pleads, "You care right? If you care you can tell us."

Sunny sighs. He… does care and he can tell both his friends are upset…

He presses a button on the answering machine…

"Most recent message: Three years ago," it states with the same coldness it always has. His mom's voice speaks, "Hey Sunny! Your step dad and I are on a trip to Cuba! We'll be back by the end of the week!"

"She…" Aubrey can hardly form the words in her shock, "She left you. Didn't she?"

Sunny starts crying. Of course she left him! He's worthless! A selfish rich brat who they don't deserve to have to deal with!

They… don't have to.

Do they?

Sunny starts to walk away, only for Aubrey to grab him, yelling, the tears once more flowing, "NO! I CAN'T LOSE YOU AGAIN!"

Kel tries to reason with Sunny, "Sunny, buddy, come on. You don't wanna do this man. You'll hurt me and Aubrey. Hero's coming back today, how about we all just have a fun day together? Just… all take a day. Like old times?"