Stay for Both

"Kel… told me about what happened," Hero explains, "Get up gently, let the others sleep."

It's then he notices Basil's warm embrace on his left side and Aubrey's on his right. He feels so at peace in this moment, and he just…

He has this overwhelming desire for both to be happy.

Sunny gets up slowly, Hero sitting at the edge of the water, patting the wooden pier for Sunny to sit by him. Sunny walks through the tall grass, looking back to see Aubrey, still half asleep, reaches out, noticing Sunny is gone. She inches over, embracing basil who smiles in his sleep and hugs her back. The two, at peace in the embrace of the other, fall back asleep smiling.

Sunny feels oddly both left out and happy for them at the same time. What are these feelings and how can they coexist? He doesn't understand.

"So…" Hero states sternly but with an understanding warmth in his voice, "You tried to kill yourself."

Sunny looks down at his feet in shame. It wasn't supposed to be this way! She wasn't supposed to stop him! She…

He doesn't understand. 

Why did she stop him?

There's that notion they could be worse off if he did it buy if they knew the truth, knew… SOMETHING, they would want him to do it. So why not do it now?

Hero wraps an arm around Sunny in attempt to comfort him, "I'm not mad at you Sunny. I'm just worried. Kel already told me about your mom. Do you know what's going on?"

Sunny shakes his head, replying sadly, "Mom… gone."

"Sunny…" Hero states solemnly, "I don't think she's coming back. You know that right?"

Sunny nods in agreement, his heart feels heavy. She abandoned him, and when they learn about SOMETHING they'll all abandon him too. He's just a checkbook to them isn't he? He's just being used for his money! They don't care! Money can't buy genuine love!

He…

He is afraid of drowning.

Aubrey and Basil… they're asleep. They won't blame themselves.

Kel isn't here so he's fine.

Hero… Hero can take it at least, it's the best way he has.

Just jump in.

No more greed.

No more money.

No more SOMETHING.

No more pain!

He can see Mari again!

He…

He can stop being such a burden… or a checkbook or both. Whatever…

Sunny stands up.

"Sunny?" Hero demands, worry in his voice as he reaches to Sunny, worried about what could happen but too slow to prevent it.

You are afraid of drowning.

Jump in?

It burns. 

It burns!

IT BURNS!

It feels like fire as the cold around him floods his lungs. His flesh feels frozen as he inhales the cold water and his lungs burn like Hellfire. But it's almost over. Hero is free from him. Everyone is free from him. He…